Thread: Axial .32 surges after WOT

Default Axial .32 surges after WOT

So I finally got to run some fuel through my new platinum Revo BB and the axial .32 grey head in it has developed a strange phenomenon. After a sustained wot pass, 10s or so enough to hang onto 2nd gear, the engine makes a strange surging when off throttle like a quick "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah...." that usually goes away with either a blip of the throttle or holding full brake for a second or two. The engine is still making plenty of smoke and I have yet to see a proper wheelie from the beast so I have no idea what could be causing it. If someone else has an axial 32 I would love to know how many turns out from full stop the factory setting is on the hsn so I can try start from there and do a fresh tune.
    My savage is a flux. A flux has an electronic speed controller. An electronic speed controller has a capacitor. Therefore my savage has a flux capacitor!

Silver Level BYT Member cbaker65's Avatar

Default Re: Axial .32 surges after WOT

Quote Originally Posted by vandodger View Post
    So I finally got to run some fuel through my new platinum Revo BB and the axial .32 grey head in it has developed a strange phenomenon. After a sustained wot pass, 10s or so enough to hang onto 2nd gear, the engine makes a strange surging when off throttle like a quick "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah...." that usually goes away with either a blip of the throttle or holding full brake for a second or two. The engine is still making plenty of smoke and I have yet to see a proper wheelie from the beast so I have no idea what could be causing it. If someone else has an axial 32 I would love to know how many turns out from full stop the factory setting is on the hsn so I can try start from there and do a fresh tune.
    My truck use to do that back in the day ,everyone said that it was a lean bog ,an I needed to tune it.

My Hsn was tuned but my Lsn was off ,So maybe your Lsn needs tuned ,don't no if its too rich or too lean ,but maybe too lean if your truck starts to stutter
    at full throttle an wants to stay at a fast idle after you let off the throttle.

I cant remember ,I'm so out of tune with my rc's!...
    Just bash it!..

I've always used the hsn first method for tuning but I might try squirrels lsn idle method. The .32 seems underpowered compared to my old 427 especially when you consider the size difference. The lsn seemed very lean when I got the truck but maybe I'm still pretty far off.
    My savage is a flux. A flux has an electronic speed controller. An electronic speed controller has a capacitor. Therefore my savage has a flux capacitor!

I've always used the hsn first method for tuning but I might try squirrels lsn idle method. The .32 seems underpowered compared to my old 427 especially when you consider the size difference. The lsn seemed very lean when I got the truck but maybe I'm still pretty far off.
    I'm not sure if mine still does it or not,Id have to break it out again an see!

I heard that axial an hpi engines were basicly the same ,I know that I used an axial o-way starter bearing inside my 5.9.
    Ive been running my engine with the same tune every since I got it about 7 or 8 years ago....

Id say play with your Lsn alittle an see if it helps ,weather you try leaning or richin it .
    But ya ,it throws you off when you let off the throttle an the engine is till revving for a few seconds afterwards.It almost sounds
    like a pinch test when the engine is rich ,an the engine is still running off eccesive fuel.
    Just bash it!..

That's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. Thanks baker.

That's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. Thanks baker.
    I try to run my engines alittle on the rich side ,so it might possibly be a rich bog.

I really don't fine tune my engine for optimum power ,or to squeeze every last drop of power out of them.
    I only tune them enough to were they idle good an will stay running at full ,an stay at a descent temp....

Let me know how it go's ,it sounds like your not too far off though!...
    Just bash it!..

I found the issue, my high speed was a touch lean and my low speed was waaaay rich. I ended up going back to factory-ish settings and starting with the low speed first till I got an even idle and a 3-4 second idle with the fuel line pinched closed. About a litre or two in I have a pretty good ball park tune and the Revo wheelies on demand. Very happy with my purchase now.

The problem may be that crap has gotten stuck in the carb needle settings and you are not running a fuel filter. Another problem is the brand of fuel that you are using. Engine manufactures recommend a certain brand of fuel with oil lube content. The oil lube content keeps the engine cool and running a long time. Less oil lube can cause the engine to heat up too fast and lower compression. and make fine tuning impossible to set. I suggest 14-18% oil lube.
    IF you can't handle the TRUTH jusk keep on TRASH talking. The one who can't prove Im a FAKe is the real phoney!