Thread: few friendly words of caution

GETNDIRTY WIT JEEPS johnbanghart's Avatar

Default few friendly words of caution

Hey fellas I know a lot of you been in the RC game for a while but when you're charging lipos please be safe and keep them within eyesight and charge them in a lipo sack I had a friend almost burn up his house this weekend because he was charging his lipos in his rc8t and It caught fire and almost burned his house down needles to say his rc8t his charger half his garage wall and insalation is gone along with a bunch of electrical wires to the house but it could have been much worse if he hadn't walked into the garage and seen it
    Last edited by johnbanghart; 02-15-2016 at 07:24 AM.
    brushless Ofna 9.5 and brushless emaxx jammin crt x1 pro brushless and nitro crt x1 losi drift r losi strike associated t4 and sc10

Default Re: few friendly words of caution

that sucks .ive charged mine on the drive way in the past. and I store mine in a metal can. when not in use
    slash 2wd
    vxl rustler
    d8t e tekin power
    tacon valor
    km t1000a

Most definitely a bummer. Luckily no one was hurt, and the damage wasn't worse. I always charge in a bag, and always stay at my bench and wrench while batts are on the charger.
    Kyosho
    Pro-Line
    CowRC.Com
    Goodrich RC Club

I dont mean to marginalize (thats a big word for me) either what happened to your friend or the intended message but im willing to bet it was either user error or user negligence. Lipos do not just spontaneously combust, they fail because of outside forces.

Some suggestions....

Inspect your batteries thoroughly between charge and use.
    Do not store them near a known heat source.
    Check your chargers setting before you initiate a charge cycle.
    Do not charge them in the car as a regular practice unless you know they are safe to do so.
    Do not over-discharge your battery.
    Do not purposefully force an over-charge on your batteries, some high end chargers and many newer batteries are able to do so however do so at your own risk.
    Know the limitations and power consumption of your equipment.
    Do not Leave them un-attended.

batteries of all kinds contain energy, just as charchol, nitro fuel, gasoline, or propane do, it is passive until you creat the circumstances to utilize that energy be it to power your grill, mower, etc, or to burn. Handle them with that in mind and take a certain amount of practical sense into it.

Me? Well i store my (2s) packs at apprx 7.36 volts in a refrigeratior (cooler at the track) in a waterproof tupperware container, i monitor their condition, how quickly they balance, which cells tend to go astray first, and always check temp after a run. I have puffy packs and packs that are flat as a board and keep mental tabs on all of them, i do not normally write any of this down. I only charge when i am home and never will i leave the house for any real amount of time while they are plugged in. I try to avoid charging any packs in the car but its been known to happen. I dont "tempt fate" but i have done things like re-animate dead batteries that were over discharged.

Ive had 2 batteries castostrofically fail on me accidentally. However ive lost about 5 packs total if you include radio lipos left on and packs that were fried. In total ive owned about 25 lipo batteries now, besides the 5 premature deaths ive had many that i ran till they just didnt hold voltage like they used to. Those were either given away or destroyed for funsies. Right now i have 6 batteries. Almost all are SPC batteries.
    Last edited by FieroMan121; 02-16-2016 at 08:16 AM.

VINTAGE
    TRX FTW!

I was just saying to be more cautious is all.. yes I agree it was user error all the way and had they been in a lipo bag maby not so much damage would have been caused.
    brushless Ofna 9.5 and brushless emaxx jammin crt x1 pro brushless and nitro crt x1 losi drift r losi strike associated t4 and sc10

Wow, that sucks and thankfully he didn't lose his entire house. I always charge in a lipo sack on my concrete garage floor with nothing flammable nearby. Even if a lipo goes up, the worst it'll do is take itself, the lipo bag and maybe the charger with it. It's good to see these warnings every so often so that we don't get lazy. Thanks, John!

Very lucky indeed

VINTAGE
    TRX FTW!

thank you to everyone who has took the time to read this