Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Detuning Project Rocketship...and creating Project Rocketship JR :)

Default Re: Detuning Project Rocketship...and creating Project Rocketship JR :)

There are not many that still make parts for the mini-t........I am struggling to find some stuff I want!

Pinion gear assortment arrived today

Remaining aluminum suspension and other goodies will all be here by the end of day Saturday. I still have to upgrade the ESC, RX, TX and steering servo.....but she'll be driving by the end of the weekend!!!!

20160128_211222.jpg

I'm just gonna go find a cash machine . . .

Dude, so glad to see you back in it (w an accomplice)! Curious to see how this evolves and how interested your little human is getting his hands dirty with the bare bones mechanics of taking one part off and bolt-on upgrading. Keep up the fun ��
    Last edited by jakel; 01-30-2016 at 12:50 AM.

beat it 'til all options are extinguished

Just got everything installed.....it's way too fast for him That MLST motor on a new 1200mah Venom pack really cranks!

I ordered a cheap 2.4ghz radio (keeps him from destroying the house with the big AM antenna ), speed control and 3 wire hi-tec servo.

Couple of pics.....it's looking pretty nice. Full FFRC bearing kit, metal turnbuckles, Lunsford hinge kit and more

20160130_102053.jpg20160130_132401.jpg20160130_133832.jpg20160130_134434.jpg20160130_135458.jpg20160130_155422.jpg20160130_155444.jpg20160130_155455.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jakel View Post
    Dude, so glad to see you back in it (w an accomplice)! Curious to see how this evolves and how interested your little human is getting his hands dirty with the bare bones mechanics of taking one part off and bolt-on upgrading. Keep up the fun ��
    He is not all that into the wrenching (yet), but is starting to enjoy the driving. Can't wait for spring so we can get outside where there is some space!

Bronze Level BYT Member lilpanther's Avatar

Rocketship Jr. Is looking good Chris. I wish I would have built one of these back when part's were easy to find.
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] yea i knwo how to google y do i need it for
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] i dont have no question for u
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] to goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] its google, not goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] you wear goggles, google is a number
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] sheesh
    7:31 PM [SHORTBUS25] same diff its looks the same
    7:53 PM [SHORTBUS25] i think the pinion is a 78t

Quote Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
    DUDE
    That was so 80...
    My Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by lilpanther View Post
    Rocketship Jr. Is looking good Chris. I wish I would have built one of these back when part's were easy to find.
    I REALLY wish I could get my hands on another FFRC chassis....... ;(

Got a Hitec servo and ESC on order for it.....the AM is just way too glitchy in the house. And I am certain my little guy is gonna put the transmitter antenna through the drywall soon Just got this 2.4ghz transmitter and compact receiver on ebay. $28....seems decent and should work great for him!

20160201_210653-1.jpg
    Last edited by Chris; 02-05-2016 at 08:23 PM.

I started a Project page for this... http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/c...-Rocketship-JR

More new parts going into it this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I started a Project page for this... http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/c...-Rocketship-JR

More new parts going into it this weekend!
    That's awesome to see a new project on that page. I remember when I was a kid waiting for updates to builds and new projects to be posted on there.

DUDE
    That was so 80...
    My Fleet

That's awesome to see a new project on that page. I remember when I was a kid waiting for updates to builds and new projects to be posted on there.
    Same! the savage 5sc is what made me build my brushless savage XL
    My savage is a flux. A flux has an electronic speed controller. An electronic speed controller has a capacitor. Therefore my savage has a flux capacitor!

Guys - that means a lot to me. I have never lost my love of RC, I just had to put it on hold while my new life priority took hold. It's great to be back into it and to hear that the old projects got you guys fired up about RC!

As a side note: I bought a used 1/18 ESC and a used Spektrum transmitter and RX this last week....both sellers said that they worked (reputable sellers). It's been a while since I bought stuff off of e-bay, but BOTH sellers sold me junk. **Sigh** It has set the project back a little while I regroup and order more electronics. Grrr......

Well, with the bad ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) off of E-Bay, I did some research and ordered a new Traxxas 3045X waterproof ESC with a training mode (50%) to plug into this rig from a legit store. It'll handle lipo packs and the training mode and waterproof features are extremely desirable. It'll be here in a few days, then the new 2.4 ghz radio system goes in and it will be really close to done....at least until he finds new ways to destroy what I have built!

Come to think of it it was actually Project Rocket Ship that got me on BYT in the first place! I had just bought a brushless mini-DT from ebay for $100 and it was my first stop before going to losi-forums. Man I still wish I still had it, the only stock part on it was the front bulkhead! exotec, GPM, oldschool mamba 25, it had literally everything!
    My savage is a flux. A flux has an electronic speed controller. An electronic speed controller has a capacitor. Therefore my savage has a flux capacitor!

That's an interesting little ESC, I had never hear of it before. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.

DUDE
    That was so 80...
    My Fleet

I've seen folks run mild 540 motors through them, traxxas did a good job with that sucker.

Im really liking where you're going with this build. Making me think I gotta get my mini fleet back up and running here real soon.

VINTAGE
    TRX FTW!

I read up a lot on a bunch of ESC's and it sounds like this is a great one. Waterproof also. So I could bag the receiver and we could have some fun in the wet stuff! Gonna get the new servo, RX and ESC installed tomorrow hopefully.

Not so funny ebay stories....I bought a used AE ESC off E-bay "works great" and a used 2.4ghz Spektrum DX2E and receiver. The ESC was junk....smoke rolled out of it immediately. Contacted the guy "oh, yeah I bought it used and never tried it". JERK! Luckily, he refunded my money.

The Spektrum unit only worked on the throttle channel....no steering. Contacted the seller. "Really. I guess I never tested it." Offered to refund half and I keep the stuff or ship it all back for a full refund. Shipping would have been half the cost so I took the half refund. Bought a new RX for it.....same thing. Transmitter is junk. Grrrr.. But I now have 2 Speky 2.4ghz RX's that will work with my M11. So that worked out. Lesson learned: Don't buy used electronics off of ebay! ! I am gonna take the transmitter apart for giggles.....see if there is something obvious but my expectations of getting it to work are low.

I found a few nice Spektrum DX4C 4ch DSMR Radio W/ SR410 receiver packages for $99 shipped. I might pick one up to use these newer Speky RX's in some other rigs I have on the shelf.

s-l500.jpg
    Last edited by Chris; 02-12-2016 at 07:45 PM.

That's some pretty crazy luck with ebay. I think people just want to see how much they can get away with.

DUDE
    That was so 80...
    My Fleet

That's some pretty crazy luck with ebay. I think people just want to see how much they can get away with.
    Both sellers had good feedback....but yeah, they got lazy, made assumptions, and/or didn't have a way to test........and then they lied

Any updates Chris?

DUDE
    That was so 80...