Thread: Savage x & trophy truggy 4.6 diff?

Default Savage x & trophy truggy 4.6 diff?

I have been doing some investigating on wither or not I could use the bullet proof ring and pinion set for the savage x 4.6 on the truggy 4.6, and I really can't find any info on the subject. From my best guess is that it could work bc they are both the same size vehicle except for some obvious differences. Have any of you savage or trophy owners tried this mod, if so did it work?
    IF your gonna have fun... Then do it right, BASH it...give a PURE UNADULTERATED BASHING!!!

Silver Level BYT Member mrgrimm's Avatar

Default Re: Savage x & trophy truggy 4.6 diff?

Never tried that, but if you go to HPI's website they have a pretty good .pdf breakdown of the parts manuals and maybe you can compare some part numbers to see if things would match up?

As a former Savage nut myself I know that the best mod you can do hpi diff wise is the vorza diff mod. however im not sure if it would work with your redcat
    My savage is a flux. A flux has an electronic speed controller. An electronic speed controller has a capacitor. Therefore my savage has a flux capacitor!

from what ive heard trophy diffs are somewhat weak. if this is the route you want to take you should look into the hotbodies d8t as most of the parts are interchangeable (upgrades for?) the trophy line. losi 8ight diffs are virtually indestructible if they're shimmed properly. dollarhobbyz is a very good rc chop shop and the prices border on straight up shoplifting.
    My savage is a flux. A flux has an electronic speed controller. An electronic speed controller has a capacitor. Therefore my savage has a flux capacitor!

I think I have made a decision on what I'm gonna do with my truck, since I have the hpi trophy truggy diffs in it, I will get the hard differential gear set and I will be getting smaller tires for it as well. I just think these massive 6.3x3.75 behemoths are just over taxing the drivetrain. I will be putting a set that are considerably smaller, I believe 1.25-1.50 smaller. That in itself ought to help a bunch, right?... less rotating mass = less stress on internal gears. Also I will be getting the ring n pinion for losi 8ight (42/13). I'm hoping all the work pays off bc I'm about tired of replacing gears all the time.
    Btw... I appreciate the info you guys have given me, it helped get the gears turning and has allowed me to figure out what I wanted to do.
    Last edited by oldskoolxx4; 07-31-2015 at 05:40 PM.
    IF your gonna have fun... Then do it right, BASH it...give a PURE UNADULTERATED BASHING!!!

I have a little update on the truck, after I redid the diffs(f,r) and added the losi 8ight 42,13 ring n pinion as well new diff fluid, 30 30 15. Seems like a good choice thus far, will know more as time goes on. I also went with the steering components out of a trophy truggy, with that and the new shoes on... this thing drives like ita on rails and quick as all get out to boot. It's geared at 50/13, fairly mild but when I get the castle 1515 1y mounted then I'll gear it up to 50,17 or higher ? We will see...

Bronze Level BYT Member lilpanther's Avatar

Glad to hear it worked for you. I might have missed it but why did you change the steering components?
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] yea i knwo how to google y do i need it for
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] i dont have no question for u
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] to goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] its google, not goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] you wear goggles, google is a number
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] sheesh
    7:31 PM [SHORTBUS25] same diff its looks the same
    7:53 PM [SHORTBUS25] i think the pinion is a 78t

Quote Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
    DUDE
    That was so 80...
    My Fleet

I changed the steering components bc the stock redcat one was original and when I switched the diffs from redcat avalanche to hpi trophy, i used the case as well. That changed the geometry of everything, so I went ahead and got the components from a trophy truggy. With the wheel/tire down size, 5x2.75" vs 6.3x3.75", has made huge difference in the way the truck drives. Before i done the work, the truck had very vague steering and kinda lumbered around and the motor constantly ran hot. I ran a whole pack through it yesterday and barely got warm. Truth be told, I was tired of replacing those cheap crappy metal gears that redcat supplied in the diff gear set. Now I have more aftermarket options to chose from, being that I basically have a trophy truggy flux.

Omg this thing is so freakin fast yo... I had gotten a new motor mount that would allow me to use my castle 1515 1y and after doing all the work and putting it together I tòok it out for a quick spin, and wooooow. With it geared 50/13 I believe it was moving in the area of 40 or more with wheelies, that is before grub screw came loose on rear universal. I will have to get some thread lock in the next day or so, then after it sets for a day I'll take it out an beat on it. Wonder what it'll do when i put the other tires back on...hehehe.. I do have a question for you guys though... where do I put shock limiters to keep from bottoming out, on inside or outside or both?

Bronze Level BYT Member lilpanther's Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean by shock limiters, do you have a picture?
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] yea i knwo how to google y do i need it for
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] i dont have no question for u
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] to goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] its google, not goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] you wear goggles, google is a number
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] sheesh
    7:31 PM [SHORTBUS25] same diff its looks the same
    7:53 PM [SHORTBUS25] i think the pinion is a 78t

Quote Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
    DUDE
    That was so 80...
    My Fleet

If you mean pieces of fuel line on your shock shafts you put them on the outside of the shock to limit compression and on the inside to limit down travel.

In other words if you don't want to bottom out put them on the shock shaft.

Vandodger that is what I asking, how to limit compression. I thought that they were called shock limiters bc they limit shock travel, my bad. Thanks though on the info, I just wasn't sure on where to place them.

sometimes they are called bump stops. I ran internal limiters on my Savage to lower the ride height without impacting my spring tension.

Right on... I thank you guys for the help, I really never had to deal too much with the shocks other than replacing shock fluid and bent shafts. Im still learning bit by bit as I go, shoot I'll probably still be learning stuff rc wise in 20 years...lol. I probably will pick up some different shocks- piggybacks..? Are they worth the money or not?, and dual rate springs in next month or so. Well atleast after I get done converting my truck to a trophy truggy flux, chassis and all so that is proper and not half a$$ like it is now. See.. I've liked the trophy truck look for a long time and now I am slooooowly building me one and should last me for years to come. Too bad they don't make alloy diff cases (bulkheads) for the trophy flux.

if thats the way you want to go, I'd pick up a HB D8t chassis instead. I might have said it before in this thread but the d8t is Hotbodies Shelby Cobra to HPI's v6 mustang. the parts are much higher quality on the HB as it is much more of a competition truggy and if I've learned anything from owning monster trucks a competition ready truck is far tougher than a ready-to-run any day. ask any guy who has owned a savage XL or savage flux, you are CONSTANTLY breaking stuff, I've been driving my 8ight-t like an absolute knob; backflips, a couple frontflips, "accidentally" running over cats while doing speed runs, the only thing i have broken was a hinge pin and a shock cap.