Thread: spring advice...

Default spring advice...

I have been doing a lot of work on my truck lately and I am at a point where I have no idea what to do. That issue is shock springs. I just removed the front shocks, cleaned and rebuilt them, filled them with 27.5 silicone fluid, they felt way to soft which is why I rebuilt them in the first place. After I lift the front end off the ground about 4-5 inches and let it fall to ground, it settles about half way compressed, if that makes sense . Then I lift whole truck to about 3ft. and it bottoms out really bad. Now I know that there is different shock fluids and springs-colors and spring rates and that there is the baffles(if that is what they are called) in the shock attached to the shaft but that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject. What I am needing help with is what should I do and or use. Could it be as simple as using a heavier shock fluid? I am using the stock shocks on the redcat avalanche, they a pretty much new, they have blue springs and it weighs in around 14 lbs. I would appreciate any advice that you guys may have.
    Last edited by oldskoolxx4; 04-29-2015 at 11:23 PM.
    IF your gonna have fun... Then do it right, BASH it...give a PURE UNADULTERATED BASHING!!!

Silver Level BYT Member mrgrimm's Avatar

Default Re: spring advice...

Have you moved the adjustment collar all the way down? Ticker fluid and fewer holes on the pistons only controls the "action" of the shock. Though, it could slow down that "action" enough to help reduce the slam effect from bottoming out. I usually run 30wt. and really just depends on the vehicle what shock pistons I use. All the weight support is done by the spring itself. You will need to figure out what a firmer spring would be if that is what you are looking for. Bottoming out is just part of it usually - and pretty much all my vehicles ride with a-arms level with chassis when the suspension is settled, even my Savage Flux.

Silver Level BYT Member DragsterDragons's Avatar

VG racing makes some nice stiffer springs .
    or you could get some dual rates
    Show BYT where you are from by plotting a point on the BYT worldwide map !
    Click ME !

E-XXL 8T 2.0 LST Fanatic

Silver Level BYT Member mrgrimm's Avatar

Oh yeah one more thing - move them on your arms/towers to the most upright position - whenever I have an RC with the shocks laid more out it feels softer when working the suspension compared to moving them more upright - maybe a leverage thing??