Thread: Hep me decide: Hobby-grade vs. hobby-brand toy vs. toy-grade

Default Hep me decide: Hobby-grade vs. hobby-brand toy vs. toy-grade

I've been torn between multiple options for months and months now. Hopefully this can spark some discussion on the matter. My goal is to have two (or more, depending) micro vehicles that are easy to transport and race on a miniature track.

I currently have two Losi Micro-T rollers. These are what I consider true "hobby-grade" as they have proportional controls, replaceable parts and batteries, and after the brushless conversions I've planned they will be on LiPo and 2.4GHz. Is it really worth the money to get these up and running versus the competition though?

The hobby branded toys I'm considering are the new ECX micro vehicles, the KickFlip and BeatBox. These would be backed by Horizon for great support but I think only the throttle is proportional and I believe the batteries are built-in. They do run on LiPo and 2.4GHz, though. I don't think individual parts are available or replaceable on these. They're $35 a piece RTR.

The last choice would be the "Hyper" models from AirHogs. The HyperActives 5 and the HyperTrax. They're in the $20-$30 range and do use 2.4GHz. One runs on alkaline batteries and the other has a built-in LiPo. Like the ECX ones, I don't think parts are available and I'm not sure if AirHogs customer service is dependable. These are the cheapest option, though. The big advantage of these is if you roll over you can still drive with both. I think that would be useful considering I'd be driving with "noobs" who don't RC much.

I'm leaning most towards the HyperTrax but I already have the Micro-T rollers... what should I do? Any input? Thanks.
    Last edited by Stevenator128; 12-23-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Bronze Level BYT Member lilpanther's Avatar

Default Re: Hep me decide: Hobby-grade vs. hobby-brand toy vs. toy-grade

I don't really know much about micro rc's but from what I have seen allot of people like the ECX trucks. I guess the way I would really decide is how much it would cost me to get the micro-t going vs the price of a new truck.
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] yea i knwo how to google y do i need it for
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] i dont have no question for u
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] to goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] its google, not goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] you wear goggles, google is a number
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] sheesh
    7:31 PM [SHORTBUS25] same diff its looks the same
    7:53 PM [SHORTBUS25] i think the pinion is a 78t

Quote Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
    DUDE
    That was so 80...
    My Fleet

Silver Level BYT Member DragsterDragons's Avatar

Okay , I have droven the beatbox which is the same thing as the Kickflip . I'd rather really stay away from them , mainly because it's 2wd so it always spins out on pretty much all surfaces . Even tried it on a mini z track ... the other thing is the same motor that powers it also steers . So either you go from full left or full right .

I have driven the losi micro rally's and those are fun on a track .
    Show BYT where you are from by plotting a point on the BYT worldwide map !
    Click ME !

E-XXL 8T 2.0 LST Fanatic

Rough estimate on prices to get the Micro-Ts up and running:

2 x $11 ESCs from HobbyKing
    1 x $12 micro brushless motors (already have one)
    1 x $10 OrangeRx receiver (already have one)
    1 x $8 LiPo (already have one)
    I already have multiple micro servos to use. I think I'd just need another set of brass pinion gears unless I had one geared one tooth higher which would probably be fine. So all that ^ plus shipping. They, too would be RWD, though, which could be frustrating on certain surfaces with stock tires.

I guess yet another option would be to go for the 1/24 models instead. I have a brushless micro truggy I was going to steal the electronics from in favor of the Ts. Ahhh I'm so indecisive.

Don't forget about the up-coming 1/20th R/Cs from LC Racing. I wish they would just release them already! Been wanting one of them since I heard about them a while back. But, rather than further muddying the waters, if it was me I think I would just get the 2 Micro Ts running.

Will they be close in size to the 1/24 line from Losi?

Throttle, Brake, Dammit!!!! Revolauncher's Avatar

Micro-T's all the way. I don't like the brushless in them though. They get stupid fast in a hurry, the brushless are too fast for the space. Yeah, I just said that out loud....
    -some say I am the Stig, but I'm just a New York cousin.

What kind of brushless have you experienced? My plan is 4500KV on 2S and geared conservatively. The Losi versions being like 8700 and over 10000 really are just too much in my opinion.