Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hi,
    I am thinking of getting into racing. I like the short course truck like the slash I am not sure what to buy a 2wd or 4x4 Any help would be great.
    Also looking for some newbie reading materal
    Last edited by bryanachilds; 12-04-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Default Re: Newbie

What's your budget? 4x4 is easier to drive than a 2 wheel drive, but 4x4 requires more maintenance

Step one is always to check what classes they race at your track. No sense in getting a 4x4 SCT when they only race 2WD stadium trucks and buggies, for example. Also, there are often better, race-bred choices instead of Traxxas if you're serious about racing. I'd only get a Traxxas if you planned to both bash and race (casually).

Silver Level BYT Member DragsterDragons's Avatar

I'd follow the advice above . Definitely check to see what classes are currently at your track .if you want to be competitive than I wouldn't go with traxxas as they don't offer a lot of tunability . They are good if you are running a stock slash class . That's pretty fun .

4wd while more expensive they are so much better for everything !
    Show BYT where you are from by plotting a point on the BYT worldwide map !
    Click ME !

E-XXL 8T 2.0 LST Fanatic

Bronze Level BYT Member RCaddict0's Avatar

I would suggest a Blitz over Slash if you wanna race. Its a better racing platform, but just as duraable
    Traxxas E Maxx, Stampede & Rustler VXL, Rally VXL 1/16 - HPI Bullet ST FLUX - ARRMA Granite BLX
    ECX Ruckus Brushless! Hobbywing Powered!

Thank you all for the help. I am new to the rc world. I like the idea of racing but would like to bash as well. I have one LHS and was told that they run a lot of slashes and buggys. I have been trying to find some reading material so I know I am buy the right rc

Throttle, Brake, Dammit!!!! Revolauncher's Avatar

If they run those then they stock parts for it. I would just settle on the slash 2wd then. If they stock Team Associated, I would go with a SC-10, if it is Losi, then a XXX-SCT would be just fine. Any 3 of those trucks is durable for bashing and racing, and you'll have great parts support. Having local parts supply is a big bonus, so you won't have downtime....
    -some say I am the Stig, but I'm just a New York cousin.