Thread: BL motor & esc question...

Default BL motor & esc question...

I have been browsing through tons of 1/8 scale esc's for my MT and reading up on things on the subject and I need some advice. I have a redcat avalanche xte with a leopard 1750kv motor-I believe- and I think I read that it draws 120a. If I have read things right I need a 120a esc to be on the safe side, correct? Or could I go with a 80a esc and be fine? It came with a 80a but I what I have been reading is that you need a esc rated for the power of motor, 80a is ok, but it would always be taxing the electronics. If not can someone set me straight please. On a side note, when my esc went up in a cloud of awesomeness, could it have taken my rx with it, or will I be alright?
    IF your gonna have fun... Then do it right, BASH it...give a PURE UNADULTERATED BASHING!!!

Default Re: BL motor & esc question...

I wasn't paying attention when wrote this, sorry... i move thread to proper section of forum....
    IF your gonna have fun... Then do it right, BASH it...give a PURE UNADULTERATED BASHING!!!

BYT official flamer of noobs suicideneil's Avatar

Ideally, the esc needs to be rated the same or higher than the motor in terms of current draw ( amp rating ); 80 amp esc and a 120 amp motor is not a good combination, the motor will pull more than the esc can handle ( during acceleration when current draw is highest typically ) so the esc will run hot and pop eventually, as you found out.

Usually when an esc goes pop the rest of the electronics will be fine as they are on a separate circuit within the esc ( BEC circuit that outputs 5v to the rx & servos ). Easy way to check is to grab an rx battery from a nitro model and plug it into the rx with just a servo connected, the servo should still function correctly on each channel when you test the throttle and steering ( no esc connected ).

The fountain of r/c knowledge: robotwars.00server.com
    Flaming noobs since June '06

Thanks for the info, but I already have installed a Hobbywing 150a pro in my truck along with a 7.5a ubec. Which works pretty well if I don't say so myself. I also upgraded my servo which has way more power than the stocker.