Thread: How to clean/service a brushless motor?

Question How to clean/service a brushless motor?

Noob question, I know, but how does one go about cleaning and servicing a brushless motor? My castle 1515 has been sitting for about a year for various reasons; dead lipos, dead esc... Etc. I went bumper to bumper cleaning and lubing up my savage but I don't know what to do with my motor. I'm gonna send joe at castle an email to see what he says and post my findings here.
    My savage is a flux. A flux has an electronic speed controller. An electronic speed controller has a capacitor. Therefore my savage has a flux capacitor!

Throttle, Brake, Dammit!!!! Revolauncher's Avatar

Default Re: How to clean/service a brushless motor?

If you get it apart, (the tiny bolts and endbells are usually threadlocked) A blast of compressed air, and bearing lube is all they need. Do not lose or misplace the orientation of shim washers on the rotor because there are several on each end.
    -some say I am the Stig, but I'm just a New York cousin.

Thanks revo!
    My savage is a flux. A flux has an electronic speed controller. An electronic speed controller has a capacitor. Therefore my savage has a flux capacitor!

From joe ford himself:

To get it apart remove the motor from the vehicle. On the end of the motor where the shaft comes out you'll see 3 screws in the endbell...remove those and pull the endbell off the motor. Next, grab the motor shaft itself and remove the magnet from the motor. There are two spacers on the motor shaft...be sure to keep track of where these go (one is short, one long). Next, check the inside of the motor with a flashlight and make sure the stator is clean (this is the part of the motor where the wires are wrapped around, the magnet goes down through the center of it). If it is dirty/rusted, clean it off with fresh water and a tooth brush. I wouldn't put any kind of solvent/electrical cleaner on it as it may not be dielectric and/or may dissolve the coating on the windings. Next check the magnet itself and make sure the carbon/kevlar wrappings are in good condition. Wipe it down with a wet cloth if needed. Inspect the bearings for rust, and spin the front bearing. As long as they spin freely you can put everything back together. Allow all parts to dry before putting it back together. Should be all set.

Silver Level BYT Member SUT_User's Avatar

electric motor cleaner is the way to go to get any grease/oil off the windings with a blast of compressed air, its what we do every day all day at my work