Thread: The future of the Photography Contest...

BYT official flamer of noobs suicideneil's Avatar

Default The future of the Photography Contest...

Due to a massive decline in participants, and a general large decline in forum activity, there is little point in continuing the contest at the moment simply due to very few people having much interest. As such, the contest will go on hiatus until such a time that the forum becomes much busier again ( economic recovery ) and makes it worth while doing.

I would like to thank all those that have taken part while I've been in charge, all those that contributed their advice & tips for taking better photos ( regardless if pretty much no one paid any attention... ), and for Chris trusting me with Moderator powers in my own little corner of the forum.

Take care and keep on beating your trucks.

In the event this site is down, go here instead: https://suicideneil.wordpress.com
    Flaming noobs since June '06

Default Re: The future of the Photography Contest...

I knew this day was coming but every good thing must come to an end.

I want to personally thank you Neil for hosting/running this photo contest for the past 3 years you have done a lot and put up with even more. You are the best
    Traxxas Rustler (Build) <click link to see>
    Come check it out I'm redesigning the Traxxas Rustler (update 11/10/14 body is done)

Garage:
    Jato 3.3 --S&W Extreme Port and Polish, RPM A-arm
    Savage SS -- Surefire .32, 3 speed, FFRC shock towers, and Buku 3 shoe adjustable clutch
    Rustler VXL (aka Outlaw) -- Complete redesign
    LST2 -- Mach 28
    SUT -- Built up from scratch more custom parts than SUT parts

BYT Life Member chiefmasterbeast's Avatar

Sad to see it end, bur my forum participation has been on decline as well. Due mostly to no trucks to beat. Thanks for hosting and judging the contest!
    Nah, he didn't slam into you; he didn't bump you; he didn't nudge you; he rubbed you. And rubbin, son, is racin'. -Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

What happened to this site? ME SAD! This is the site that got me back into rc's after 20 years away.

Silver Level BYT Member cbaker65's Avatar

Yea,I havent been the same with out not being able to do vids,I just havent been doing nothing with my rc's.My b-law an sister got hit hard,so they dont come no more.
    Even if they did,with out footage,theres nothing to share with...
    Ive also been busy,it seems like every w-end,something always comes up that I have to deal with.
    Just bash it!..

Well this is a bummer. I have a bad feeling that this sport/ hobby all together is no where near as strong as it once was. This thread being proof positive. I guess I have been just as guilty as the next guy that isn't as into the game as I once was(new born baby girl in the house with a 4 year old new job new city....) sorry off subject. Well I hope that we can all band together and maybe bring new life into this hobby, this site and of course the monthly photo contest. If I can help let me know.
    beat it til itsBROKEN

Now w/ Ti and Bone Screws! Kevin Van's Avatar

Sooooo, put the photo contest on hold and work up video conests. Summer is right around the corner...the vids are what really broght a lot of people to the site.

I'm guilty of letting a lot of vids die because I didn't liek the post google policies on you tube. I should dig through my stuff and repost them elsewhere.
    Everytime you say In*egy, a kitten dies. Please, save the kittens.
    World's Best Bashing Vids: http://videos.socalcrew.com

Silver Level BYT Member beatnrcs's Avatar

Dang man this bites,I enjoyed the contest,but things happen.Hopefully things pick up and it can continue on again.Thanks Neil for running the contest and doing a awesome job in getting peeps out to enjoy the joys of r/c'ing.

BYT official flamer of noobs suicideneil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van View Post
    Sooooo, put the photo contest on hold and work up video conests. Summer is right around the corner...the vids are what really broght a lot of people to the site.

I'm guilty of letting a lot of vids die because I didn't liek the post google policies on you tube. I should dig through my stuff and repost them elsewhere.
    Video contests are certainly something I'd like to move over too, if only for the summer months mainly ( have a few themes as such each month ).
    Youtube is a minefield these days though yeah, you don't dare put music on your video unless you are 100% certain it is from one of those license-free sources which won't 'accidentally' get matched to incorrect licensed content.

In the event this site is down, go here instead: https://suicideneil.wordpress.com
    Flaming noobs since June '06

Silver Level BYT Member cbaker65's Avatar

Yea I got a warning on p-bucket 1 time.I had an awsome bash vid on top of a hill with the music of Slayer, painted in blood.
    Lost the vid...It was epic...
    Just bash it!..

Quote Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
    Video contests are certainly something I'd like to move over too, if only for the summer months mainly ( have a few themes as such each month ).
    Youtube is a minefield these days though yeah, you don't dare put music on your video unless you are 100% certain it is from one of those license-free sources which won't 'accidentally' get matched to incorrect licensed content.
    So Neil...what about the people that have won recent photo contests...

Quote Originally Posted by sportnitrose View Post
    Well this is a bummer. I have a bad feeling that this sport/ hobby all together is no where near as strong as it once was. This thread being proof positive.
    Its a shame, I have just started getting into the hobby and i would dare to say its bustling around my area...u know, jgaff2 and i just got our acts together and put out a decent new years edit on here and youtube. i realize as a whole the hobby isnt at its best, its just hard to come to my senses when im constantly finding new people and places in the area that you didnt know

don't get me wrong I would love to say that it is stronger than ever. and I hope that it is just me thinking that way. I did just move to a new area that is pretty rural up in da northern wood of Wisconsin not a lot of ppl in general over here. any way I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. we just need to do what we have always done and enjoy the hell out of this hobby
    beat it til itsBROKEN

Now w/ Ti and Bone Screws! Kevin Van's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
    Yeah, a lot of my later videos took music from Jamendo, it's all licensed under creative commons. You have to wade though a lot of horrible stuff to find good tracks tho.

I've used Urban Castle Magic (Let It Go) and Pachuco Cadaver in some of my videos, for instance.
    Everytime you say In*egy, a kitten dies. Please, save the kittens.
    World's Best Bashing Vids: http://videos.socalcrew.com

Quote Originally Posted by popasqat View Post
    Its a shame, I have just started getting into the hobby and i would dare to say its bustling around my area...u know, jgaff2 and i just got our acts together and put out a decent new years edit on here and youtube. i realize as a whole the hobby isnt at its best, its just hard to come to my senses when im constantly finding new people and places in the area that you didnt know
    It definitely is taking a pretty good jump around here popularity-wise. I think we're in a lucky area though, our new local rc shop is pretty closely affiliated with the local short-track for full size racing. They've started building rc tracks behind it, etc. and I've always seen people in the shop when I've gone in to buy parts and just take a look around. But it definitely seems like it's on the decline elsewhere. If it wasn't for Traxxas sponsoring half the motorsports out there I don't think I'd like to know where we would be. That's most of the reason I got into rc anyway.
    As for the video issue, hey, I'll try to start adding in the byt logo/web adress in my next videos to promote the site since I have a decent viewer-base. As long as it's ok with Chris for me to throw the name out there. I'm actually surprised none of my videos' audio has been removed, I've used some pretty well known music before. I guess I've been lucky.
    Neil; these contests were definitely fun and I've had some fun looking through the entries and entering myself over the time I've been on the site. Hopefully the site will come back full force so the contest lives on another day in the future!
    As for everyone else, keep bashing!

sorry for the rant...lol
    Head to UnReel Rc's page for some quality truck-beating!:http://www.youtube.com/jgaffmx
    BL Emaxx- Gone but not forgotten
    'Pede 4x4 BL
    Vaterra Slickrock