Thread: 2-speed question

Default 2-speed question

I've been considering converting my jato to an electric, and I keep hearing that electrics don't need a 2-speed transmission. However, I've noticed that onroad cars are 2-speed. Do the onroads need a servo to activate the brakes or is it done with the motor like a single-speed electric? I know I can run a servo for brakes on the jato, but I'd like to be able to leave the servo off but still have 2 gears. And possibly reverse, but that's not absolutely necessary. Real curious how those onroads work, I wonder if it could be adapted to work the same.
    How about that HPI gas Savage!!! Woo!!!!

Silver Level BYT Member cbaker65's Avatar

Default Re: 2-speed question

The issue is that the 2 speeds have a o-way bearing,so you would need the brake.But if you can lock the bearing,you can do
    away with the brake an servo.
    Just bash it!..

Yeah that's what I've noticed on both the jato and revo. If you spin the spur gear backwards it just freewheels. If I lock the OWB then it wouldn't let second gear "overrun" first, and the transmission would lock solid when it up-shifts. That would make for one epic blown transmission though! Are there OWB's in onroad shift mechanisms? I'd like to get an onroad anyways but wifey wants a summit so I'm saving up for that :/

BYT Life Member chiefmasterbeast's Avatar

I wasn't aware of any two speed electric on road cars. Ive seen many E-Jatos, but I'm not sure how they are done. Good luck!
    Nah, he didn't slam into you; he didn't bump you; he didn't nudge you; he rubbed you. And rubbin, son, is racin'. -Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

Bronze Level BYT Member electricbasher's Avatar

Most people just lock out 1st or run a brake servo. If I were to do the build, just for the cool factor, Id run the two speed (gear for the 2nd gear, I think you know that though) and a brake servo. just for giggles
    Drive rc, do good

contrary to popular belief, nitro is just as fun as electric

Some electric onroads can be equipped with a 2-speed, looks like 2 spur gears stacks on each other. I don't know if they run 2 seperate pinions on the same shaft or if it's a pinion that comes with the kit. What I can't figure out is how they even still have brakes after installing that, because they aren't adding a servo-operated brake system. Besides, the jato brakes aren't too great. I know there's mods for it but overall it's just a poor design. I even talked to Traxxas about it once and was told by the guy on the phone that the engineer's first job was to make it fast. And then of there was time, throw a brake on it before it went to production. Clearly not high on the list of features. If it hardly stops from 60mph, it would only be worse with electric powah!

Silver Level BYT Member gotnitro?'s Avatar

I converted my revo 3.3 into an electric and I heard the same thing about electric motors not liking 2 speed trannys. It was something about the motor would be under a load in 1st gear then when the truck shifted into 2nd it would put to much of a load on the motor or something like that?

Once I converted my truck, I just drilled a hole through 1st gear and 2nd gear and bolted them together. This way the truck is always in 2nd gear, and I can use the reverse of the electric motor that the nitro motor did not have. My revo has no trouble taking off in 2nd gear.