Thread: DIY non PS Cover plate?

Default DIY non PS Cover plate?

Hello again. So I got a couple more used Nitro cars... A Traxxas Nitro Sport, and a Losi XXX-NT. I already had a RC10-GT.

I got the Nitro Sport running (.15) after replacing the one way bearing, now the EZ-start works fine.

The Losi has the Mach .15 engine, which was missing some pieces, but I think was set up for a pull start.

I use a Starter Box to start the Novarossi MT12 on my RC10-GT, so I figured I would convert the Losi to that as well.

So.... I unbolted the original PS cover plate, and made my own cover plate from a piece of 1/8" aluminum. I sliced off a piece of silicone from a cupcake mold, and used that for a gasket....

The engine starts, runs, and does not leak. (I only had it running, not driving, 5-10 minutes, one of the clutch bearings is smoked!)

Could I have bought a new plate? Yes, probably. Why did I make one? Because I CAN! (it only took me 2 tries to get it perfect)

So, my question is, will my home made cover plate be ok? There is obviously a large void in the crankcase after removing the original parts, is it ok to leave that area open?

The non PS plates I have seen are 'pushed in' to fill the void, is there any particular reason for that, like better fuel distribution? (just guessing)

Thanks for input...

Throttle, Brake, Dammit!!!! Revolauncher's Avatar

Default Re: DIY non PS Cover plate?

The void left will leave more room for the "flame kernel" which in essence should reduce power. With a proper backplate, more squeeze = more compression and thus power. Interesting that it still runs at all. On higher end engines, even that backplate is ported to increase flow.....I would just run the pull start backplate w/o the pull start on it, if the starter shaft is captured inside the crankcase. I can't remember if the mach .15 was or not. The seal washer left on the captured starter shaft is effective enough to prevent air leaks. I had run a TRX 3.3 a whole season like that before finding the bump start backplate for it, of course that starter shaft is captured, so it ran fine.
    -some say I am the Stig, but I'm just a New York cousin.