Thread: question regarding associated 4.6 engine

Angry Question regarding Associated 4.6 engine

I'm definately not new to rc world but I am new to the 4.6 engine in my monster gt, I had the first one when it came out and the truck was awesome, so now I got a new monster gt 4.6 bought it brand new only roughly couple months old, my question is are the 4.6 engines finiky or am I missing something I just got it back together and went out to run it and this engine was a pita to tune wouldnt hold an idle would get up to speed for nothing, now I have multiple 1/8 scale buggies and truggies and no plroblems at all with them so I know its not my nitro tuning skills been doing nitro for over 15yrs but this engine is puzzling me, I've checked everything on this engine for leaks and sealed the back plate, carb neck, even the pinch bolt (read the sticky on here regarding checking for air leaks) and to no avail this engine still fights me, one thing I did notice is on the chassis under the flywheel and cb there is alot of blackish oil residue from flinging off the flywheel, is this my bearing seal gone bad already and thats where I could be having a air leak? If so this sucks this engine doesnt even have a gallon of nitro through it. I mean it is what it is, just ranting lol. Well if I keep having trouble with this engine I'll just pull it and stick a OS engine in it, thats all I run in my other nitros and I'm a big fan of OS engines the engines have always treated me good, but never this much of a headache, I spent 3hrs today running my monster gt trying to get it tuned properly, I do know after I broke it in when I first got it, it ran awesome and now I have no idea what went wrong. I still love my truck tho.
    Last edited by Jedac; 10-16-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Silver Level BYT Member cbaker65's Avatar

Default Re: question regarding associated 4.6 engine

Wow,The 4.6 is or was the easiest to tune....

The old 4.6 with the 2 needle sets are easier,ever sense they change to a 3 needle,they are junk.
    I have original carb if your interested,also check the head bolts an make sure they are tight...
    Just bash it!..

With that much residue around your flywheel, you might be running really rich, mine leaked like that from the beginning as well.

When I bought mine last year, the owners manual that came with the truck said one carb setting, the engine manual that came with the truck had different carb settings, I called AE and they said a different setting from the two manuals.
    There are at least three different carbs used and no way to tell which setting you should use. There is the three needle carb and two different two needle carbs out there.

Mine was ok to tune, not the easiest by any means. Ran hot, even when really rich. When it would cut out occasionally, it would be a pain to restart since it was hot and the fuel would vapor lock and I would have to wait until it cooled off to get it to restart.
    Finally ditched it for a LRP ZR30X, now that's an easy engine to tune and holds it really well, insulated carb to boot. Great price on that motor as well,
    I wish I'd put this motor in sooner, you might want to swap it out and avoid the frustration of the stock 4.6. Some have great luck with it, I wasn't one of those guys.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Associated MGT 4.6 - LRP ZR-30X
    Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - Werks B5 Pro
    Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR - JS Racing .21
    Baja 5SC SS LE (to be built) - OBR Prostock 27.2

Silver Level BYT Member cbaker65's Avatar

2 needle carb sets,which were mine was...Hsn 2 3/4 out, Lhn about 5 1/2 to 6 turns out....
    Just bash it!..