Thread: Cursed Tmaxx 3.3

New BYT Member

Default Cursed Tmaxx 3.3

hey guys.. i picked up a 3.3 tmaxx off ebay last year... thought i got myself a sweet deal,(which is the only reason the wife let me drop the cash on it lol).
    ive had shock trouble, spur gear/ tranny problems, tuning problems out the wazoo.
    i systematically replaced most everything thats broken so far, with the exception of the newest break, a cracked exhaust manifold. let me bring you up to speed on what ive done since it last ran decent.
    bought new shocks, due a front end hit that snapped an old one, one of the very few wrecks ive done with it, just fyi.
    had a dodgy ez start motor, or battery, or wand.. replaced all 3, just to be safe.
    had it running, and it was the absolute best ive ever seen, wheelies almost on demand, great pickup and hitting 2nd like a champ(usually takes a while).
    mid run, it stalled and i could not get it going unless i had the separate glow plug ignitor in, or i kept the ez wand going. that sounded like a fouled plug to me, so i got replacements.
    tossed one in, and the same thing happened, only now it was behaving like it was far too rich, despite leaning it out ridiculously.
    checked for air leaks, and found a cracked exhaust manifold. tossed on some jb stik weld from a previous project, and coated it with sealent for extra protection.
    got it started easy, soon as wheels touched dirt(had on a stand), it stalled. did it twice more before i propped front end on my boot, and rear on my knee, wheels off ground. revved it high and dropped my foot, ran like crap, but did run, til it slowed enough and stalled, did it again to be sure and figured it was my clutch. replaced shoes and spring.
    got it running, wheels down, but again only while holding the ez wand button, or keeping the ignitor in, it would run a lil longer each time, til it would idle mostly ok.
    give it gas, and insta-stall.
    leaned out lsn and eventually got to where i had a lil wiggle room with the throttle, but i couldnt do much more than coast, before it stalled again.
    all this time, lsn was lean, way to lean for my taste.
    then, like magic, it starts running beautifully. it revved without stalling, good smoke.... and then my spur strips, less than a minute later

ive put enough $ into this, i couldve bought a new in box truck, with plenty to spare.
    my question, is should i even bother anymore with this thing, and keep tossing $ at it, or just craigslist it?

Default Re: Cursed Tmaxx 3.3

Is this your first nitro?
    When the gas runs out, just wreck it, we'll insure the thing

Everybody needs a boosom for a pillow, mines on the RPM

Silver Level BYT Member cbaker65's Avatar

Well,what does the Wife say???...

Just messin with ya....

If its still worth fixxin,Then stick around,the folks here will be glad to
    help you out on repairs & how to's....
    Just bash it!..

Id replace the spur gear cause its like a 5 dollar repair but if the engine gives you any more problems SEE YA LATER.....i have a 2.5 tmaxx and dropped the 3.3 in it, i hated that motor. it ran like crap all the time and then blew itself up. it could just not be made happy.....on the other hand i have a friends with a 3.3 jato and that thing runs better and starts aster then a real car!! Its a hit and miss with the 3.3.
    Garage:

Traxxas T-Maxx (#4910) with Dynamite .19t motor, AE pipe, aluminum racing clutch - FOR SALE PM ME
    HPI Mini Recon with Turnigy 6200kv BL setup
    Traxxas Stampede with HPI bullet flux combo

When you get used stuff like that,you dont know what the other persn has done to it.
    When you do,its always best to go through it,inside out.you can tell by signs around
    the engine like on the chassy under the crankshaft,if there a strip of fuel residue there,
    then it would need engine bearings,which it is leaking creating air leaks can cause a
    bad engine tune,or if the backplate is wetting the outside of the starting system.

Always check an clean the inside of fuel tank,fuel left inside can plug internal filter.
    Always check fuel lines an preasure tube,if the preasure tube is plugged,restricted,
    or have a hole in it,then you can get a bad tune.
    Always make sure there is NO air leaks in the tank,around lid seal or if it has a
    rubber gromet.
    Alot of people will blame the engines,when theres other factors involved...

Check those...GOOD LUCK...
    Just bash it!..

Veteran BYT Member kanenabel2731's Avatar

Everyone has suggested lots of good things to check. If you have the motor out and your cleaning it. Go ahead and look on YouTube how to seal a nitro motor. You'll use rtv sealant. Seal up everything. Mainly the carb throat and inlets. My 3.3 kept having air leaks until I sealed it up the wham never had another issue. Hope we have helped you out.
    Savage flux tekin 1600kv 6s
    Stampede 2wd
    msct 1/24
    Mini dt castle micro
    xxxNt-
    Ntc3 nova Rossi powered
    Venom creeper ckrc and rc4wd FOR SALE

Bronze Level BYT Member littleazn248's Avatar

Well its a traxxas. I don't own a tmaxx but, for my emaxx I had quiet a few problems. It sucked until I converted it to a 3905 emaxx. My suggestion is to just call it quits. Get a new spur gear and sell it. You're better off getting rid of it while the repairs are cheap. After you sell it get a truggy.
    Retired from RC for now

New BYT Member

technically, its my 2nd nitro, however the 1st i couldnt barely start for the life of me, was an hpi maximum mt with a .15 (i think) and a pullstart.. gave up when the pullstart reload spring snapped, on both motors that came with it. for all intents and purposes tho, the tmaxx is the first "real" one, given that i have used it, instead of sitting there for an hour (no lie) yanking on the pullstart. (good fuel, plug, and ignitor there, just fyi).

the wife hates it. shed prefer i stop spending on it, so im taking a break for a few weeks. seriously considering a steel spur when i try again, but i was told that then its possible to strip your pinion gear too lol.. whats the likelihood of that happening?

well, before i even saw a video on how to seal airleaks, i basically said the hell with it and rtved the heck out of it. figuring, if this doesnt work, its a dead motor anyway,
    sealed everything i could, and it sounded much better before the exhaust cracked. jb welded that, and resealed.
    i just donjt get how it wouldnt run anywhere close to steady, unless super lean. shouldnt be any more air leaks on it.
    the pattern on the bottom of the head looked ok when i had motor apart, the hobby guy near me said it was acceptable, tho my head gasket should be replaced soon.
    re-oiled the piston and bearings with a drop of motor oil just like the instructions for tear down i found suggested.

new problem since then, when i go to start, my ezstart seems to slip, sorta.. i need to pulse the button so it can turn over, and i need a seperate ignitor or it takes FOREVER to get started. but, after it would warm up, it would slip less and less. my owb was perfectly fine before, so any ideas there?

thanks so much for the help guys.. i dont want to give up quite yet, and if with your help i can squeeze some more life out of it, even better

Alot a times the one way bearing just needs to be cleaned,it gets oil an fuel inside that causes it to slip.
    I usually just take a q-tip an clean the inside up with some alcohol or acetone,thinner will help...
    Just bash it!..

New BYT Member

now why didnt i think of that? lol.. i actually had her get me some alcohol specifically so i could clean it up, totally zoned on it.. thanks for the reminder dude