Thread: Bead Lock solutions?

New BYT Member DamIbrokeitagain's Avatar

Default Bead Lock solutions?

Ok by this time I am getting frustrated. I cannot find a pair of rear inner bead locks that I haven't broken after 1 or 2 runs. Just got in a set of rovan aluminum bead locks and broke them both within 15 min on my back yard short course. Cheap Chinese alloy maybe? What has been working for you guys?

BYT Life Member chiefmasterbeast's Avatar

Default Re: Bead Lock solutions?

First, what truck and are you running and what is the motor system? Most higher power brushless systems are going to tear up tires and potentially beadlocks. If you're running a monster truck, Beadlocks for those are bad at handling the stress. You could also have the screws over tightened. My 5th scale uses beadlocks and I've only ever cracked one stock inner bead.
    Nah, he didn't slam into you; he didn't bump you; he didn't nudge you; he rubbed you. And rubbin, son, is racin'. -Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

I'm running a 30.5 cc CY motor on a KM 5b. The aluminum ones broke no doubt to a bad jump.screws were set just right on these heck I even took the extra step of thread lock to ensure the screws would stay in without over tightening them. The last plastic ones I broke doing doughnuts, had tire pull off and foam went flying. :-).. I wish RPM made beadlocks or Proline sold spares those seem to hold up the best so far. DDM has some nylon rings made by Silverback who I haven't heard of. Probably will give those a try.

Have you seen my baseball?!?!? Beeeech's Avatar

Silver backs work. I had Silver back outers that held tight after I pulled the inner bead on the tire. I am now running full silver backs.

Silver Level BYT Member 28offroader's Avatar

Another vote for Silverbacks. If your wheel screw threads are good but if they're stripped you may find the stiffness of the beadlock may pull it off the wheel. I ended up replacing my beadlock screws with an a lot corser thread screw.
    HPI Baja 5T...29cc
    HPI Baja 5T #2...Currently being built
    E-Revo Brushless...
    Supermaxx Picco27....Gone
    Mini-T...Stockish
    HPI Nitro MT...Waiting for rebuild
    Slash 2wd...Brushless
    Slash 4x4...Brushless
    Venom Creeper...Tekin FXR 35T Pro
    Traxxas 4-Tec...Waiting for rebuild

INTEGY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my Silverback inner beadlocks and some other misc goodies arrived today courtesy of DDM, and I gotta say they are the perfect balance of stiffness not to rip apart at the screw points, yet will flex with the wheel on hard impacts and still retain its shape. Good call guys, I beat the crap out of them today on my backyard short course track way harder than it took to break the aluminum ones, and they show no stress, heck I was feeling froggy so I gunned it to try to clear a 25 foot gap on the track... They lived however my steering servo gears did not. DamIbrokeitagain.

Have you seen my baseball?!?!? Beeeech's Avatar

Some of us have learned the hard way! I ate a set of rear dune reapers thanks to bad bead locks.