Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Truck build: Urban Achiever

I'm just gonna go find a cash machine . . .

Default Top Truck build: Urban Achiever

Wind changed around here a bit and I decided it's about time to get into the nitty-gritty. I've always paid a little attention to scalers and have had an appreciation for them, but for some reason they never really grabbed me. Crawlers just scare me because I could never master them. We all know that rocks + dirt + water = a jinx on any treasured and nutured r/c. Well, it's about time to face the fears and drown them in the creek

Honestly, over the past few weeks I've been really looking forward to this build. It all started a few months ago after hearing some of the local crawler guys mumbling here and there about the Top Truck events. It slowly began to sink in and I eventually took a box of parts over to Turtle Rally's place and dumped them out; we sorted through the electronics and AX-10 bones and figured it was enough to get a good start on a Top Truck build. But after eyeing up some of his builds, checking out what other guys have been doing, scratching down a few financial calculations, plus factoring in the core general awesomeness of what a Top Truck is all about, I decided to scrap most of it. Giving this a go, BeatYourTruck style, and breaking stuff isn't allowed . . .

Today a nice platform showed up on the doorstep along with a few little parts that will make a big difference. The box will get plundered ASAP and then we'll see what happens from there.

Last edited by jakel; 04-06-2012 at 11:20 PM.

beat it 'til all options are extinguished

Default Re: Top Truck build: Urban Achiever

Made some time tonight and got the axles assembled, at least as much as I could; a set of alum c-hubs and knuckles are on order. This kit is missing one of the lower link connectors, so fired Axial a request to replace it; plenty to do in the mean time if another late-night opportunity arises to sneak down here again Man, these things are wide!

Throttle, Brake, Dammit!!!! Revolauncher's Avatar

This is the 4th. axial kit I have heard of missing parts. What the heck is going on over there?
    -some say I am the stig, but I'm just a New York cousin.

Bronze Level BYT Member savage71's Avatar

It sucks that the kit was missing parts but at least you got to make some progress

3:51 PM [fishyblob] there is no polite in byt chat. only debauchery, violence, and sin

Yeah, I've also heard a few guys groaning over some stuff wrong with the kits I think if I wasn't already aware, I'd be pretty upset about it, too; you expect a kit to be complete, right? But it's just one of those things, how many RTR rigs wind up having leaky shocks and unfilled diffs...

Edged into the shop after getting ready for the Easter Bunny tomorrow. The STRC knuckles and C-hubs came in today; their price didn't break the bank and I've been pretty happy with their products in the past. Funny thing that was driving me crazy, I'm pretty sure the laser etched R and L are backwards? I was going crazy because I was relying on them being labeled correctly and the axles kept coming out wonky So, I reversed them and everything was good!

Other than that, just by following the manual and being careful, the bearings seated nicely. Of course, I did have to knock out the 10x15's and re-fit them when I reversed the knuckles but there are a couple of relief notches CNC'd into the knuckle for just that purpose Got the kit's threaded shocks all ready for fresh fluid and springs, also

And then? We still have the same chassis plan?

whilst its still in the early stages, do yourself a favour and flip the link mounts. you"ll notice a very big difference.
    The mighty E-Maxx 3905,brushless 2340kv stylee,
    Traxxas Slash VXL.
    Axial Honcho.
    Axial Wraith.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Rally View Post
    And then? We still have the same chassis plan?
    Yup, this thing will get a tuber for sure, not positive yet on frame rails. Found this one, it should be pretty easy to fab up:

Just kidding, that one's a little out of my element. Speaking of which, something else I'm waiting on is the "driver." The figure is 8" tall and most people are using 7" action figures. On 1/10th scale, that's about 6'8" vs about 5'10" so it's really not too bad, just will have to make room.

Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    whilst its still in the early stages, do yourself a favour and flip the link mounts. you"ll notice a very big difference.
    Hmm, will do some research on that! I haven't come across that yet, but I wasn't exactly looking for it either; thanks for the tip

Cmoing along really nice!

not trying to jack your thread but here is a tiny clip of mine on 3s 21t titan reverse rotation. geared 23/80. lots of torque ! and lots of fun too

The mighty E-Maxx 3905,brushless 2340kv stylee,
    Traxxas Slash VXL.
    Axial Honcho.
    Axial Wraith.

Oh I forgot to tell you Jake, flip the brackets on the axle side. . Of course if you are not using the stock chassis it doesn't matter all that much.

Not sure if you ever saw this video, this is my "Wraith" (custom solid rod chassis) Wraith skid, tranny and axles. 11 turn 5 pole hand wound Holmes Hobbies motor, BRXL ESC and 4 cell 2100MAH lipo.

Your going to need something around this quick to hang with us in a TTC.

Nice videos, guys, more fuel for the fire

Not much to report, been working on upgrading the driveshafts some tonight. My driver came in today, he doesn't look too bad standing next to the RipSaws

I don't think there is anyway in H-E-L-L I can build a chassis that guy would fit in. Have you tried putting him in a Wraith seat yet?

Silver Level BYT Member mrgrimm's Avatar

Looks like John Goodman???

I don't think there is anyway in H-E-L-L I can build a chassis that guy would fit in. Have you tried putting him in a Wraith seat yet?
    Guess I'm gonna have to fire up a torch and see what happens, then Yeah, this figure sure does need to lose some weight (not even talking girth here, that's a whole other issue). I'm not even going to bother with the Wraith seats, probably going to have to make a seat just for him. Besides, his legs don't even bend Just getting this guy to work is going to be a project. But, I'm determined

Quote Originally Posted by mrgrimm View Post
    Looks like John Goodman???
    I guess he does! Maybe I should name him . . . Walter.

Next up (hopefully tonight but no promises) is getting the tranny and axles straightened out. From there, the real work begins; still eyeing up what I want to do for the chassis.

Great driver... Looks more like Dom DeLuise

Haven't had much time lately to lock myself in the shop. Got some little things done here and there over the past few days, have the Maxx shafts sorted out for the most part (heard too many stories of the stock drives breaking and I'm not interested in dumping a ton of money down on MIPs that might blow up anyway). Finally was able to park it tonight, eager to hook the tranny together and install the Robinson idler and bottom diff gears and that missing link bracket from Axial. And guess what? Turns out that the kit is also missing the "Dig Lockout Shaft," which is one of the outdrive shafts So, went ahead anyway and did a sort of mock because I can't stand it anymore:

I was able to see how the big ol' Maxx yoke matched up with the spur cover. I decided to cut out a relief window in the cover instead of just eliminating the whole thing, figure that's better than nothing. Later I might see if it can be patched with enough room for the stock spur to turn freely.

Time to start sorting out the chassis

. . . and cutting that big fat guy down to size

Silver Level BYT Member Positronic's Avatar

an RTR with missing parts is far worse than a kit wit missing parts, axial forgot to put an idler gear in my wraith. Look forward to seeing this scaler build from you Jake

Hope you called/emailed Axial to let them know you have some missing parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Positronic View Post
    an RTR with missing parts is far worse than a kit wit missing parts, axial forgot to put an idler gear in my wraith. Look forward to seeing this scaler build from you Jake
    Thanks, Inty! You're right, at least with a kit there's not such a feeling of anxiety from waiting to drive it.

Hope you called/emailed Axial to let them know you have some missing parts.
    Oh, yes I did, late last night I just kept the e-mail conversation going The other tree showed up on Friday so at least it was pretty quick. I've pretty much put together all the major stuff that'll get taken from the kit so hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast