Thread: Changing the pinion gear on a stampede 4x4

Default Changing the pinion gear on a stampede 4x4

Anyone have any good instructions on how to change the pinion gear on a 4x4 stampede? I've seen some basic descriptions in other forums but i'm not even sure where to access the gear box. I checked the traxxas manual and there isn't much listed there which is surprising as they provide the optional gear with the kit. I also checked a few youtube vid's but can only see instructions for 2x4 vehicles.

Also, what is the difference between the pinion gear and spur gear? When running lipo should I consider changing to steel gears?

Thanks!

Default Re: Changing the pinion gear on a stampede 4x4

Remove the gear cover. Remove the silver screw on the motor mount and disconnect the wires. Tilt the motor away from the driveshaft. Now the motor should come out and you should be able to change the pinion. Hope this helps.
    You think you know, but you have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketty55 View Post
    Also, what is the difference between the pinion gear and spur gear? Thanks!

The pinion is small and metal and goes directly on the motor shaft. The spur is usually plastic/composite and takes power from the pinion to the rest of the drive train.

Looky here: http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...ews_110228.pdf

Tamiya Hummer * HPI RS4 Rally * Stampede Monster Jam * Stampede 4x4 x2! * Exceed Mad Torque * SCX10 Rubicon * SCX10 Dingo

I would stick with the metal pinion to plastic spur combo. In case something in the driveline binds it will eat up the spur and not the driveline. Also the plastic spur can take lipo abuse.
    You think you know, but you have no idea.

+1 on that, much easier and cheaper to replace a spur gear than a driveshaft, diff, or even tranny gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will10431 View Post
    I would stick with the metal pinion to plastic spur combo. In case something in the driveline binds it will eat up the spur and not the driveline. Also the plastic spur can take lipo abuse.
    Head over to UnReel Rc's youtube page for some quality RC edits:http://www.youtube.com/jgaffmx
    BL Emaxx always in progress...

" **Here he comes to save the day....**
    **SuicideNeil, away....** "