Thread: difference in trucks

Silver Level BYT Member beatnrcs's Avatar

Default difference in trucks

So i've been looking at wanting to get some stuff for my dingo,but just about everything comes up scx10,scx10 honcho.They look the same,but I don't wanna buy stuff that is wrong.Whats the difference in these truck to the dingo?Thanks for info it will be much helpful.

Silver Level BYT Member mrgrimm's Avatar

Default Re: difference in trucks

Hard parts are the same like gears and such. There are subtle differences in links and "bolt-on" things but I am pretty certain 99% of the stuff is going to work between the differenmt models. I would suggest the robinson racing hardened transmission gears, especially the one piece unit with the outputs! MIP splined driveshafts are great as well, but kind of costly.

Kool,thanks for the heads up on the gears,and the driveshafts.They just looks so similar it hard to tell for the bolt ons,like the front bumpers,bodies etc..

The only difference is chassis rail length.
    The mighty E-Maxx 3905,brushless 2340kv stylee,
    Traxxas Slash VXL.
    Axial Honcho.
    Axial Wraith.

Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    in which you would think might have an affect on the drive shafts but I'm almost certain they are long/short enough for either application because of the sliding. If you run a dig unit would be the only thing that would shorten a drive shaft enough to not work on another truck w/o dig.

Sweet,thanks for the info.I figured they were close,just wasn't quite sure.The dig lets you shut off either front/rear diffs right?I'm a noob to the crawler seen.
    Last edited by beatnrcs; 03-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.

yes thats right, but I think dig usually just shuts off/on the rear, front always drives in most cases because it helps where the front will pull itself up and over instead of having the tendency to wheelie and back flip with the rear wheels pushing up a steep climb. I have never owned a truck with dig but a friend of mine does and it is really cool !

Ok that makes since leaving the front diff on.Gunna check into one when i get my good esc/motor installed,and learn more about the scalers.

Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    Not even that, just the link length. The main difference is the body style, wheelbase (link length), and the bumpers. Everything else is identical, with the links bumpers and body any style can be made into another pretty easily. Regardless of which you pick, they're all a ton of fun.

If you feel the rear end is pushing too hard when climbing you might want to considering getting under and/or over drive gears for the axles. With the gears in the axles you can make the front axle pull harder this will help with the rear end wanting to walk under the crawler. And the guy above me is right. The link lengths, bumpers, bodies are the big differences, it does matter with a few things though. If you wanted a CMS hand brothers on the chassis steering system the Honcho one mounts farther forward on the chassis, which doesn't work very well in the Dingo. Also when the Dingo first came out it had the rear upper link mount and the Honcho did not, Im not sure if it is now included in the Honcho. Those are just a few things off the top of my head.

A couple things regarding driveshafts:

Before there were a ton of options for driveshafts a few years ago, we would modify Traxxas 2.5 Maxx shafts. We would cut the stock driveshaft output down to a metal sleeve and trim out the inside of the 2.5 Maxx shaft "Yoke". These shafts can be made (front and rear) for some where around 20.00. To me they are a great deal for an hours worth of work, plus they are indestructible (some people may argue with me on this). I have used these shafts on 10 pound crawlers with 11-20 turn motors running on 4 cell lipo and never had any issues. I have also used them on a Campbell buggy crawler that had a CC 5700KV motor running on 3 cell and the shafts where the only thing I didn't break. I have seen RC4WD punisher shafts and MIP shafts fail to many times in the heat of the moment, plus they are way too expensive.

If you do end up getting Maxx shafts chances are the pinions will be drilled through (which means you don't even have to modifiy them, just bolt them up). Axial is currently doing a running change drilling all outputs and pinion gears.

Crawlers were born from the ingenuity of guys locked in their garages for days at a time, while a lot of those things have been updated and made better by vendors some of those things are still the best option.

Another one if you are looking for more durability make some links, Grab a pack of Traxxas Revo (or Jato) rod ends some 8/32 all thread and break line and start cutting. Some of the toughest links around can be made with a dremel and a little time. Plus it is a nice cheap option 20.00 dollars spent on this will make you 5 links, instead of just buying 2 that are not as strong.

That is were I would start, after getting those things (gears, Maxx shafts, 8/32 links)

You could do C-hubs, knuckles, 300+OZ servo, hand wound motor, rear locks outs, BRXL ESC. After that you should have a bullet proof and fun SCX10. Not that it is all needed, but its nice not to worry you fun will be cut short because of something breaking.

Dig is fun, but on a shaft driven crawler it can be finicky and hard on servos without proper set up. Generally they are not worth the hassle, especially if you are looking for reliability.

Good luck!

-Ty

chassis rail length and obviously your links are different. the honch is around an inch longer so ive been informed.
    Traxxas Slash VXL.
    Axial Honcho.
    Axial Wraith.

Frame rails are the same between the two trucks, there is only one SCX10 chassis and they both have it.

Wheelbase on the Honcho is 12.3" (313mm)
    Wheelbase on the Dingo is 11.4" (290mm)
    Last edited by Turtle Rally; 04-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Well I've seen quite few trucks with different bodies and on the honcho the frame rails have been longer. I think mine are 17.5inches or something close.
    Traxxas Slash VXL.
    Axial Honcho.
    Axial Wraith.

Im not sure what to tell you boss, maybe they cut their frame rails down. There is only one SCX10 chassis though.

Taken from Honcho parts manual :

SCX10 chassis rails: AX30502

Taken from Dingo Parts manual:

SCX10 chassis rails AX30502

If you want to check yourself here you go:
    Dingo:
    http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehi...ngo-manual.pdf

Honcho:
    http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehi...cho-manual.pdf

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen it is all helpful.I'm very happy with the Dingo so far even though i haven't got to get on hard yet.I also don't have much power in it yet.I got a HPI 27 turn and the esc from it also with a 6 cell nimh(being borrowed from shadowz24).Went on a little spending spree and put the dingo to the side kinda,not much though.
    I have been looking at this lift kit, http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFT-KIT-AXI...41723728670666 Has anybody used one yada yada,is it worth the cash for a lift kit or should i just fab my one up.
    @ TY the maxx shaft mod will definetly get done,since i have maxx shafts up to the roof.

I wouldn't do the lift kit if I was you. It will increase drive shaft angle, make the truck more unstable and personally I think it will look like poop. If you need more clearance for tires you can either trim the body or raise the body up. Just remember rubbing is scale.

Ahh!! rubbing is scaling i can do that.I was thinking the same thing about the axles.Thanks man

So what's the deal with maxx shafts? Do they bolt straight on? Got any details or links ?
    Traxxas Slash VXL.
    Axial Honcho.
    Axial Wraith.

[I haven't had time to do this yet,but will be getting done soon.Heres the thread jakel put up for doing this mod. QUOTE=crazee horse;1012073]So what's the deal with maxx shafts? Do they bolt straight on? Got any details or links ?[/QUOTE]

http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/s...l-drive-shafts

i agree with everyone but i have a buddie that has both the dingo and the honcho, we modded the honcho with a different body and put in a RC4WD dual dig trans, so he has a 4x4 or a rear WD and rear wheel dig. works great we are fixin to cut a chassis out of 3?16" alumin plate and put leafs under the rear and a custom 4 link in the front
    Peace By 671 Grain of Diplomacy!