Thread: 1/8 scale newbie with (Ofna) questions

Default 1/8 scale newbie with (Ofna) questions

Hello. I am brand new to 1/8 scale and I am looking for my first buggy. I have been looking at a lot of Ofnas due to price and decent reviews.
    The questions I have is that I really don't know which model I want. There seem to be so many like the Ultra, Hyper, Hyper star etc. I know I like the top of the line models but I am probably best off with a decent entry level model. I have seen a lot of Hyper 7's and Ultras used for decent prices. I have also seen a lot of other similar buggies which makes sense since Ofna seems to be a branding company. Any info on which other brands use this same chassis? I have seen the Duratrax Raze, a Kyosho and Mugens? I have been researching on line but I still need an 1/8 scale education.
    I really don't know what the differences are and which model I really want. I am going to be running a brushless electric setup with a single Lipo, not Nitro. I am going to race it occasionally at the local dirt track (Makkin Trax). I am going to do a lot of bashing. I am open to converting a Nitro to elec if the buggy is cheap enough.
    I have seen the Ofna Ultra Lx2e new in the box is as cheap as $190 shipped, I may go that route rather than used. I'm just not sure yet.
    Next topic... what is a good brushless setup for 1/8?? I have the Traxxas Velineon 3500 in my 4x4 stampede and I know it eats a lot of power in that truck. I assume this setup is not up to the riggors of 1/8 scale? So what would be a good setup??
    Lastly, since I mentioned that I am looking at used cars, you might have guessed I have a small budget and that would be true. I would like to set up a rig as cheaply as possible but not use "cheap" parts. With a little persistant shopping and forum help I hope to make this work. My overall budget is somewhere in the $300-400 range but less would be great of course.

Thanks

Veteran BYT Member traxxaskiller's Avatar

Default Re: 1/8 scale newbie with (Ofna) questions

I had a hyper 7 as my first 1/8 scale. It is by far the toughest RC I have owned. There was very little wear from the plastics. The only issue I seemed to have was diff wear. It want terrible though. A complete diff is only $20 if they do go bad.. It is not that great for racing. It lacks the adjustability and technology of other buggies. I personally have never had the LX2e but i helped a guy at the track with one. He broke 2 rear shock towers in one day. Not sure if he did something wrong. I would personally look towards a good used buggy. A lot of people like the Losi 8ight. I have an Associated RC8. It is not the most durable bc of the wear on the plastics. It is a great racer with plenty of parts support. Which brand does your LHS carry. Which brand is easier to get parts for? For electronics a lot of people like the hobbywing system. I would personally find a good used Castle or Tekin system though. Gens Ace has some good batteries. They perform pretty good compared to the much more expensive brands. Only issue I have is the life span. I have had packs last from months to a year.
    A message for lapped traffic:
    " Theres a race going on, and you arn't in it."
    RC

Thanks Killer. Were the shock towers on the lx2e plastic? They look aluminum in the photos. I think durability ranks higher than adjustability. I may have a line on a local used nitro Ultra that i will probably convert to elec.

Throttle, Brake, Dammit!!!! Revolauncher's Avatar

The Ofna LX2E has really nice RTR wheels/tires, alloy shock towers, the front thicker than the rear, I have never broken one, but if you slam on the rear wing I could see it possible or stripping out bulkhead bolt holes at least..... If going Ofna, I would recommend the LX2E new, and then a Hobbywing 80a brushless combo, the Hobbywing SC-8 ESC is very good too, water resistant, 120A and yes you need a 1/8 scale specific brushless combo as the 1/10 scale electronics will overheat from the weight they are having to move around. A mod 1, 5mm. shaft pinion (recommend 14-16 tooth) I own the LX1-E and Ofna ultra parts are everywhere, their most common platform. I think you could get the Ofna built up new for the same price as a used 8ight and be better off reliability-wise. I bought an 8ight-TE used and took a while to fix all the nickel dime stuff neglected by the previous owner.....I would get build up components at hobbypartz.com or hobbywing.com
    -some say I am the Stig, but I'm just a New York cousin.

Veteran BYT Member kanenabel2731's Avatar

I too bought a losi 8te but for only $250 which was a great deal. I would think if you search good you could find a decent deal on a losi 8 buggy in good condition for less than $400. Best electric system I have ever used was a mamba max monster system with a 2200kv motor. I think in a buggy you could use a mamba max pro and find a sensored motor which would be best for racing. Good luck.
    Savage flux tekin 1600kv 6s
    Stampede 2wd
    msct 1/24
    Mini dt castle micro
    xxxNt-
    Ntc3 nova Rossi powered
    Venom creeper ckrc and rc4wd FOR SALE

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Ofna 9.5 MBX pro on Ebay. here are some before pics from the auction:

It's going to need fresh shoes and lid. I'll clean her up when it arrives and get a good assesment of everything else it may need.
    What it does have is a Torsen main dif, full pivot ball suspension and some upgraded aluminum parts.
    I now have to convert it and get my electronics.

Throttle, Brake, Dammit!!!! Revolauncher's Avatar

look at the seller suprasales on ebay for wheel tire combos. Good rear arm setup on those with the adjustable tow at the rear hub carriers. For the body, the Jconcepts Hi-flow for jammin x-2 fits well.
    -some say I am the Stig, but I'm just a New York cousin.

Awesome, thanks for the tip RevoLauncher!