Thread: Mini Recon brushless convertion

Default Mini Recon brushless convertion

So I was at my local hobby and I saw this car on the shelf. I decided to buy the Mini Recon since its DIRT CHEAP for a RTR mini car and it boots pretty hard on the stock system as well. Like everyone else, I was planning to slap a brushless motor in it and I finally finished

This is the car when it was almost brand new, everything is stock.

Stock motor vs the new motor, funny how its smaller haha

The stock motor mount had to be grinded down a little since the motor wouldn't quite fit

New motor mounted on the plate and ready to be dropped in the car

Motor on the car, no esc yet

Everything back together and ready to go. It took me one night to do this, a few hours to be exact. Its got new batteries in it as well, 1300mah rather then the stock 1100mah one. I also took the diffs out and greased them up to protect them a little form the increased power even thought they will eventually go. Overall I'm very happy with it, its quick too. total cost was 90 bucks including two motors(I have an even higher kv one) the esc, 3 batteries, a programming card and connectors so it was pretty cheap too
    Garage:

Traxxas T-Maxx (#4910) with Dynamite .19t motor, AE pipe, aluminum racing clutch - FOR SALE PM ME
    HPI Mini Recon with Turnigy 6200kv BL setup
    Traxxas Stampede with HPI bullet flux combo

Bronze Level BYT Member RCaddict0's Avatar

Default Re: Mini Recon brushless convertion

Sweet! I just went through a little brushless, Beef up on my rC18MT. Wish my stupid camera worked
    Traxxas E Maxx, Stampede & Rustler VXL, Rally VXL 1/16 - HPI Bullet ST FLUX - ARRMA Granite BLX
    Hobbywing Powered!

Thanks! How quick does yours move? they seem so fast even when they aren't as fast as a nitro or fullsized electric haha
    Last edited by andyandy99; 02-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Garage:

Traxxas T-Maxx (#4910) with Dynamite .19t motor, AE pipe, aluminum racing clutch - FOR SALE PM ME

Pretty dsrn quick on 2s! Could be faster, but gearing is consirvative on a 4500kv
    Traxxas E Maxx, Stampede & Rustler VXL, Rally VXL 1/16 - HPI Bullet ST FLUX - ARRMA Granite BLX
    Hobbywing Powered!

Ya, even on the stock gearing its a little bullet.
    Garage:

Juswt watch and make shure your diffs are correctly adjusted and shimmed tight, And be easy on the throttle and the drive train may last along time!
    Hobbywing Powered!

Ya thats the first thing that gonna go on the car, plastic with brushless power are not the best combo . I put a bunch of grease on the gears when I dropped in the new motor too. If I do manage to blow the gears, I'm just going to pick up a steel set of diff gear and pinion. they are like 15 bucks for the rc18t and they drop right in too

BTW i see you have a Savage XS flux....how uncontrollable is it at top speed or have you even reached it? lol
    Garage:

Nice! That thing looks fast.
    I GOT THE JUICE!

Thanks! Ya its pretty quick, I think I'm going to put up a video tomorrow when its a little warmer out.
    Garage:

Looks pretty sweet, how are the diffs holding up? I bought my stock and haven't even put 3 packs through it and have been through 5 rear diffs, even had the LHS install one incase i was some how missing something, hpi won't warrenty it and instead said it might be a bad chassis and sent me a new chassis.
    RC Garage
    Brushless Micro-DT with lipo
    HPI Mini Recon - Worst mini ever made! And hpi won't warranty it
    Full scale garage
    03 VW GTI 1.8T 5spd stg2 tune and lots of mods
    03 VW GTI 1.8T 5spd, stg3+

they thought it was the chassis fault, thats pretty funny. My diffs must be great then. I have an new motor in it now, 6200kv and i have yet to break my first diff (knock on wood). I have put at least 20 packs through the car as well. I dont beat it like a savage all the time, but even when I do, they hold up great. Heres an idea for your diff problem. I imagine you keep stripping the spider gears since I hear those are weak right? Do yourself a favour and get a set of hardened steel ones. http://thetoyz.com/Associated/RC18B/...The-Toyz/9388/ They are originally for the AE RC18T but i hear they are identical and drop right in. I doubt you will be able to strip a set of those . Thats what I plan to get once I blow mine.
    Garage:

Also I would like to pick up a bigger and more badass set of rims and tires for this truck. Do you guys know where I can find some big cheap wheel, they dont need to be fancy or anything as long as they are bigger then the stock ones and fit on the car without modification. The tires I have now are 2.5" in diameter or something like that and the hex hub thing (dunno what its called) is non existent. All it has is a little aluminium pin that fits into the stock rim. Please suggest some tires and rims that will fit it
    Garage: