Thread: need help reviving my mini-ram

Default need help reviving my mini-ram

A few years ago I bought the mini-ram and mini-t for me and my son. These were our first real r/c trucks and needless to say they broke down shortly after and have been sitting ever since. The mini-ram is in perfect condition its just missing the electronics. My goal is to just get it going again and fix the durability issues. Nothing crazy. It will be running up and down the driveway and through the dirt. What are yall's thoughts for getting this truck going again? And the budget for this one is tight.

Default Re: need help reviving my mini-ram

Welcome to byt. For electronics I would check hobby king or hobby partz for a 1/18 brushless set up. Good systems with budget in mind. A 5xxx or 6xxx kv motor would be ideal. For durability look into viscous diffs. But make sure you shim them. If you only go offroad you could always jb weld the diffs. Cheap but hinders steering some and eats tires a little more if driving on road.
    Last edited by Will10431; 12-23-2011 at 04:45 AM.
    You think you know, but you have no idea.

I have looked at those diffs before but wasn't sure if they were worth it. I see that Toro has a 5050kv system for $35. What about the servos? Do I need to get the conversion kit? They are a little expensive.

If you can spare it a single 1/10 servo kit is a great upgrade. I don't recall for sure but I think you can fit 2 hitec hs 55's in the stock locations of you want to go that route. As for diffs the mlst2 diffs were decent as well. Fixed most of the problems. I ran the viscous set in my mlst and they ran well until the o-rings blew out but I didn't shim them so it was most likely my fault.

Thanks for the help. What shims do I need? I was gonna get rid of this truck since I have several other 1/10 ones I'm redoing but I cant bring myself to part with it. Sentimental reasons.

There should be shims included with the kit. Wish I still had my mlst. Even with all the problems and money I dumped into it.Also in the MLST section on here there are some DIY single servo kits threads. May save you a bit.

Once this one is done I have to start on the mini t. I'm just wandering if the kiddos are gonna let play with it when its up and going. Seems everytime I get myself a truck one of the boys take it over. Weird thing is I have 3 kids and 6 trucks.

I have a WK set aside for my oldest. Pretty much all my other rigs are BL and I foresee things being destroyed if he drives them. Lol. For more insight on mlst upgrades check out the project page. Chris did a MMMlst a while back. Pretty nice project.

i wish i could get all my trucks going cause i really like the wk. My 9 yo has a slash with a 4600kv sidewinder and it holds up great. I will check out that thread.

After doing a little research I think I am going to try a Tacon 2040-4120kv motor with a ez-run 25a esc, the metal gear diffs (losb0941), and a 2s sky lipo 1300mah 20c.

I found the stock esc and found out it works. I am wanting to get a brushed motor for now so I can run it while I'm saving for all the upgrades. Would the Venom 370 be a good choice? i was thinking of getting 2 and power it with a lipo from Hobbypartz.com.