Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ProLine Trencher X are in stock

Default New ProLine Trencher X are in stock

If you've been holding out (like me) for a set of the new Trencher X tires mounted on desperadoes, they are now in stock.

Use promo code fb15 and you can get a set for $75 shipped.

Link

You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese, and living in a van down by the river!

Bronze Level BYT Member electricbasher's Avatar

Default Re: New ProLine Trencher X are in stock

Thats better, I had the original trenchers for my e-maxx. Didnt like em at all. Tread was too full to dig into the dirt
    Drive rc, do good

contrary to popular belief, nitro is just as fun as electric

Bronze Level BYT Member RCaddict0's Avatar

Not to sound dumb, but whats the difference between these and the others?
    Caster Racing Fusion 8t, Traxxas Rustler VXL, Rally VXL 1/16, Stampede VXL, E Maxx BL
    HPI Firestorm Flux, Electrix Ruckus
    Hobbywing Powered!

I think its the tread width and spacing. This has more gabs between so should grip much better..

for referance regular trenchers

Silver Level BYT Member beatnrcs's Avatar

Tread spacing could be the only thing different cause im holding my trencherrs and looking at the pic and they are the same tread pattern.

Yea, Ive owned the SC 2.2's, 3.8's and I have the 2.8's on my Pede. They look the same. But yea, maybe the spacing or width are different. Maybe there more like Big Joes in width or something. That would fit the "X" in the name. Like e"X"tra wide
    Last edited by RCaddict0; 11-22-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    Caster Racing Fusion 8t, Traxxas Rustler VXL, Rally VXL 1/16, Stampede VXL, E Maxx BL
    Hobbywing Powered!

Quote Originally Posted by RCaddict0 View Post
    Yea, Ive owned the SC 2.2's, 3.8's and I have the 2.8's on my Pede. They look the same. But yea, maybe the spacing or width are different. Maybe there more like Big Joes in width or something. That would fit the "X" in the name. Like e"X"tra wide
    The X is for the Traxxas style bead. They still have the regular Trencher as well. The X is 4.15 inches wide, the regular is 3.43, it's got to be one heavy arse tire.The 1.25 inch wider tire probably accounts for why it looks like the blocks are spread out more, same patter, same number of blocks, much wider tire.
    Last edited by GT4point6; 11-22-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Associated MGT 4.6 - LRP ZR-30X
    Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - Werks B5 Pro
    Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR - JS Racing .21
    Baja 5SC SS LE (to be built) - OBR Prostock 27.2

I wouldnt want them then. I didnt like the Big Joes for there size. Dnt get me wrong. They where MONSTEROUS and took on some serios terrien with ease. But they where almost too wide IMO.
    Hobbywing Powered!

I don't know, I own the Big Joe's and the Trenchers, both mounted on Tech 5 wheels. I am always trying to decide which wheels I feel like running, also depends on where I am going too. Now with these, I don't know if I will get them and get rid of the normal trenchers or keep the normal trenchers an let these pass by...hmmm....
    HPI Baja 5SC SS ~ HPI Vorza Flux ~ Axial Wraith

~YouTube Channel~
    http://www.youtube.com/user/usafmoore67/featured

looks the same as both of my set of trenchers...

no need for a fancy stereo system...
    My stereo is under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by GT4point6 View Post
    The X is for the Traxxas style bead. They still have the regular Trencher as well. The X is 4.15 inches wide, the regular is 3.43, it's got to be one heavy arse tire.The 1.25 inch wider tire probably accounts for why it looks like the blocks are spread out more, same patter, same number of blocks, much wider tire.
    No, the "X" is for the difference in the dimensions on this tire over the original Trencher. iirc, original Trencher is/was also available in a Traxxas bead.

Trencher dimensions: 6.89" H x 3.43" W

Trencher X dimensions: 6.50" H x 4.15" W

A little lower and a little wider. Should make for a great basher setup.
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 12-02-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese, and living in a van down by the river!

Update: the set I ordered came in yesterday.

They are much bigger than the stock talons. The tread is very grippy. I like the improvement over the original Trencher design.

I had a brief bash session during my lunch break today. So far, they are a huge improvement over the talons. Performance as a bashing tire is excellent. They handle grass, dirt, and asphalt extremely well. The additional offset greatly improved stability as well.

They are heavier than the Talons, which is to be expected.

I'm still deciding whether to run these on my ERBE or my Summit. I will need to regear the ERBE if I run them long term, the motor was definitely much warmer after the run than when I'm running on the Talons.

Stock Talons, for reference

Trencher X, 1/2" offset Desperado

The side biters on the shoulder really help a lot when cornering under acceleration. I am impressed so far with how the perform. I'll run them around this weekend on the Summit and let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    No, the "X" is for the difference in the dimensions on this tire over the original Trencher. iirc, original Trencher is/was also available in a Traxxas bead.

Trencher dimensions: 6.89" H x 3.43" W

Trencher X dimensions: 6.50" H x 4.15" W

A little lower and a little wider. Should make for a great basher setup
    Proline only shows the the regular in a 40 series, nothing on the traxxas stlye bead in a regular 40 series.
    http://prolineracing.com/monster-truck-tires

I can't find anything on the net about the original Trencher with Traxxas bead. It's an easy connection to make when you add X to a name and they are only for traXXas style beads.

If one dimension is bigger and one is smaller, what does the X stand for? Xtra wide and Xtra short? Doesn't make sense... One would think X means bigger but these are in fact shorter. IMO, I still think they did it to match up to the traXXas spelling.

I'd give them a shot but don't want that wide of a tire, got to weigh a ton and that makes more wear/tear/stress on your drivetrain and suspension, no two ways around it. Look good though with the tread pattern spread out over the original Trenchers, seem to fit that width much better.

I put the MGT 8.0 tires on my 4.6 and the 8.0 tires are 3" wide, the 4.6's were 3.5 and the weight difference is almost a quarter pound per tire of rotating unsprung weight. For these size vehilcles, that is HUGE. Unsprung weight will affect handling more than sprung weight not to mention the reduced rotating mass...
    Last edited by GT4point6; 12-02-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Associated MGT 4.6 - LRP ZR-30X
    Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - Werks B5 Pro
    Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR - JS Racing .21
    Baja 5SC SS LE (to be built) - OBR Prostock 27.2

Quote Originally Posted by GT4point6 View Post
    Proline only shows the the regular in a 40 series, nothing on the traxxas stlye bead in a regular 40 series.
    http://prolineracing.com/monster-truck-tires

I can't find anything on the net about the original Trencher with Traxxas bead. It's an easy connection to make when you add X to a name and they are only for traXXas style beads.

If one dimension is bigger and one is smaller, what does the X stand for? Xtra wide and Xtra short? Doesn't make sense... One would think X means bigger but these are in fact shorter. IMO, I still think they did it to match up to the traXXas spelling.

I'd give them a shot but don't want that wide of a tire, got to weigh a ton and that makes more wear/tear/stress on your drivetrain and suspension, no two ways around it. Look good though with the tread pattern spread out over the original Trenchers, seem to fit that width much better.

I put the MGT 8.0 tires on my 4.6 and the 8.0 tires are 3" wide, the 4.6's were 3.5 and the weight difference is almost a quarter pound per tire of rotating unsprung weight. For these size vehilcles, that is HUGE. Unsprung weight will affect handling more than sprung weight not to mention the reduced rotating mass...
    Good points all the way around, no doubt.

My counterpoint to the "X" being for Traxxas bead, they don't call the Traxxas bead Badlands tire "Badlands X". Ditto the Road Rage Traxxas bead. Both of those tires are available in 40 series, but with no design differences other than the bead. I'm thinking that since it doesn't appear they are doing away with the original Trencher, it's just a redesign model designation.

I haven't weighed the tires yet to get accurate differences, but they aren't too far off the weight of the stock Summit Canyons mounted on Geode wheels.

double post

If you could get a video of you running those Trencher X's?

~YouTube Channel~

If it ever stops raining here again, I will see what I can do.

So far, I really like them. They balloon like crazy, (I got the pre-glued set, I didn't glue them myself) but I bought them for bashing, not speed runs, so it doesn't affect the bashing performance.

I'm right there with ya in VA, I wish it would make up it's mind temp wise. Anyways, now did you have the original trenchers and if so how do you like them in comparison?

~YouTube Channel~

I did not have any original trenchers, so I can't give you a direct comparison.

The X's are slightly shorter and slightly wider than the orignals. I've got to believe that has to be an overall improvement from a bashing standpoint.

They compare in size to the stock Summit Canyon ATs. They are just a hair wider and a hair shorter, but its not noticeable unless they are side by side. The X's are made of a stiffer compound than the canyons, so they should hold up a little better, too.

I don't know if it is the 1/2" offset of the wheel, or the sidebiters on the tire, or a combination of the two (as well as some other factors) but I really enjoy these tires compared to the stock talons. It is much more prone to traction rolling with the Talons and 0 offset Geminis. With the X's, handling is much improved and traction rolls are almost non-existent.
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 12-09-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast