Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do kits cost so much?!? Rant for all the haters to join in.

Throttle, Brake, Dammit!!!! Revolauncher's Avatar

Default Why do kits cost so much?!? Rant for all the haters to join in.

(Andy Rooney voice)
    What is the deal with all of these manufacturers up pricing build it yourself kits 20-30% over equivalent RTR's in the box. Maybe I am missing something in the business plan, but doesn't a box of organized parts cost less to put in a box than a fully assembled nitro truck from Taiwan, Hong Kong,.....etc.? Killer robots must be doing a big business overseas. I understand the difference in wages between Team Associated paying employees in Cali. to hand sort and fill each racing kit that leaves the shelves, but what about the recreational stuff? Losi is even moving toward preassembled versions, ugh. It is almost as if companies are paying kit builders to build it to make sure the parts fit, then take it all apart to place in hermetically sealed bags only for us, the consumer to build again!
    Our hobby is letting the experienced, non-racer, hobbyist down. All of these RTR's are great for the weekender', but what about the guy like me who would drool at the thought of a $200, 4x4 build with scale MT properties to run just about anywhere. Wheely King was fun for a while, but slow and tippy. (Hilux would run you $500-700 to finish nowadays) When I started in this hobby 25 years ago kits were everywhere and half of the satisfaction was knowing how it worked, which part failed and that I could fix it, cause the LHS had the part on the wall. Now if the battery does not come half charged in the box with the truck, people are disappointed!,
    I'm all for introducing the hobby to new comers and the RTR's are perfect for that, they are are in good hands, but the experienced modelers are going to have to dig deep in their pockets to shell out the $500-700 needed to complete a build these days. So far in my search for an answer to winter boredom, is a clearance sale on a Team Assoiciated RC-10 GT2 for $159.
    http://order.aeteam.net/product_deta...?Itemcode=7080
    Fun build, great truck, would be silly fun, brushless. I have had horrible customer experiences with Associated years ago though and am really good at grudges! I also found some Team C stuff that looked like fun for a good price, overseas, but parts availability is an issue as is, they are going to pre-assembled formats as well. I guess I am just too picky and cheap to find what knowbody else seems to want, or am I?
    I'm too old school like my good buddy here:

Nobody can rant like Rooney, so feel free to complain. It is the American way!
    Tamiya, Losi, HPI, I'm bored and need you to offer a budget build roller kit that will look and drive the part of a real offroad MT truck.
    Last edited by Revolauncher; 02-29-2012 at 05:40 AM.
    -some say I am the stig, but I'm just a New York cousin.

Silver Level BYT Member Positronic's Avatar

Default Re: Why do kits cost so much?!? Rant for all the haters to join in.

Amain stocks the team C parts (under tqracing) also tq has lots of other places in america to buy the parts from.

All the RTR's I see generally have different parts than the kits (plastic shocks etc)

I wish all rc's came in kits, baja was the best kit I ever got to build

-bad example, racing kits only, $265 for the 4x4 buggy that only runs saddle packs, but the 2wd SC truck for $250 and buggy/ST for $165 definitely catches my eye (look real good). Ya' know, Australians must not complain too much cause they live in the most beautiful place in the world! I know this bothers other people out there too, C'mon spout off, you'll feel better, (I know I do)

arent most kit versions superior to RTR versions?
    for example, doesnt the kit version of the scx10 come with aluminum links?
    the blitz ese kit comes with cool white plastic.
    thats just my guess
    Last edited by Stampedevxl; 01-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.

no need for a fancy stereo system...
    My stereo is under the hood

Yep - it really annoys me. Tamiya kits are super expensive now! It's ridiculous...

I guess they make more money on the RTR's because people who've never built kits aren't sure they'd be able to do it - and they can charge a premium because people who want to build kits have no choice.

Things like the Cup Racer and such are so expensive now.

Silver Level BYT Member Positronic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolauncher View Post
    -bad example, racing kits only, $265 for the 4x4 buggy that only runs saddle packs, but the 2wd SC truck for $250 and buggy/ST for $165 definitely catches my eye (look real good). Ya' know, Australians must not complain too much cause they live in the most beautiful place in the world! I know this bothers other people out there too, C'mon spout off, you'll feel better, (I know I do)
    I paid 99usd for my team c kit, and 150 usd for the 4x4 kit from rcmart, but it seems someone has finally complained, since they have jacked the price up on the 4x4 and mid motor 2wd.

You know what annoys me, that a flux is 600 usd in america and a 1000 usd in aus, that my baja was 1250 usd, when there 899 in america, I know you guys are having a hard time economy wise lately and that sucks, but whatever you guys are paying most of the world is paying near double, ps3 games, 60usd in america at gamestop , 120 usd at the aussie gamestop. I hate that I can't get a single part for any of my 20 rc's at the hobby store as they only stock brands I've never heard of, that if I a break 3$ plastic part I have to order it from america and pay 10 to 30 bucks postage, I hate that when I do order from an aussie store it takes longer for the part to get to me than if i ordered it from over seas.

Yes thats the beautiful beaches tax I'm afraid

BYT Life Member chiefmasterbeast's Avatar

I must admit, I've never built a kit RC. I've fully taken my E-Maxx apart, save for the diffs, and rebuilt it with the new chassis and other parts. I've always wanted to build my own kit. If I hadn't been able to find a used Baja in the local area for a good price, I woiuld have bought the kit Baja, which seems to be a one of the few kits that are cheaper than it's RTR counterpart, but only between 60 to 150 dollars cheaper, depending on the dealer. I never understood why kits whould be more expensive than the RTR. Most kits don't even come with the motor, servos or radio equipment. In my mind, that should automatically make it cost less than the RTR.

I love this hobby. RTR's got me into it. i don't consider myself a hardcore modeler, but saying that I've built a kit would be nice. I just don't know which I'd want to build. Something different though.
    Nah, he didn't slam into you; he didn't bump you; he didn't nudge you; he rubbed you. And rubbin, son, is racin'. -Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

Gold Level BYT Member michael_lambert's Avatar

RTR kits are always cheaper due to the fact they are made up cheaper parts.. typically to offset the cost of the added goodies that come with it Radio, battery and charger..

Two kits come to mind that i own .

The honhco kit was like $30 more than the trail ready, However the Trail ready came with all plastic linkages.. compared to the kit which came all aluminum.. anyone who is going to really use the honcho for what its intended for will need to spend that $80 in upgrades..

The Losi 8ight series. The RTR comes with a decent radio, and starterbox.. However the kit comes with cheaper alloy shock towers and chassis which are fine for your weekender / basher.. However the lack of adjust ability, durability in the alloy and lack of flex tune really robs anyone looking to actually race. So the few buck you save on the RTR cost you in the end run.. As your now replaceing the cheap plastic shock caps with aluminum or the first bad landing your broke, You replace the cheap RTR chassis with a $100 flex tune chassis. Your replacing the cheap shock towers with V2 towers for the duability and justifiability. your changing out the cheaper wheel hubs for the better alloy or again your going to stripping nuts and bending threads. so again your into another couple hundred to bring it up to par.

On top of all that, your RTR kit is mass produced and assembled typically by someone who really does not care.. SO you end up rebuilding your RTR kit to make it work right.. Some over zealous employee forgets shock oils or strips ball ends assembling, Uses way too much loctite or uses red.. lol diffs leaked dry while on then shelves for storage.. ect.
    Michael Lambert
    Kyosho America | Reds Racing USA | Team Orion | JConcepts | Peak Racing Products | Sprucewood Leasing | Pinnacle hobby | Northern RC
    TKi3 | RB6 | ST5 | Ultima SC

-see there BYT guys, I knew you had it in you! On the RTR's being inferior, compare Blitz kit (plain, no ESE) to Blitz RTR, little to no production changes, yet the kit will cost you $80 more to outfit with the same level of components as the RTR. Follow me? AM transmitter package and brushed electronics. The SC-10's are no different as are the T-4 and B-4. I understand individual vs. collective markup on items vs. combo deals, but we are talking a third of the total sale price! Kit means you pay the extra $50 on average to get the build experience. Hmmmm. The way I see it, they should pay us $20 to build it properly, ourselves, OK, $5 maybe, just to be fair. Planes have always been that way, until just recently, 1-2 years ago RTF's are getting cheaper for example. I'm just asking the manufacturer to dump the properly fitting parts in a sealed box for $5-10 less, not too much to ask, right?

I always wanted a Ready to Build kit. Include a radio, servos, power system (nitro or electric) and the tires/rims/body. Include glues, lubes, and even a little can of paint or 2. That way the newbs know their car inside and out and it keeps the clueless people out of the hobby (the ones who don't know righty tighty lefty loosey)
    When the gas runs out, just wreck it, we'll insure the thing

Everybody needs a boosom for a pillow, mines on the RPM

uhhhh......kits are more because they have more performance parts in them.....but they dont have the electronics(which is why I did'nt get a kit)
    BASH your SLASH............until it's in pieces on top of your house(or in the lake)

is a r/c expert!!!

HoH|Lt. Lead|ROX

Quote Originally Posted by voucher View Post
    I always wanted a Ready to Build kit. Include a radio, servos, power system (nitro or electric) and the tires/rims/body. Include glues, lubes, and even a little can of paint or 2. That way the newbs know their car inside and out and it keeps the clueless people out of the hobby (the ones who don't know righty tighty lefty loosey)
    Tamiya actually had that in the mid 80's. It is a great idea, they even put all the correct colors in the box and had a paint chart, so you would do the body colors in the right order.

Quote Originally Posted by rcfanatic15 View Post
    uhhhh......kits are more because they have more performance parts in them.....but they dont have the electronics(which is why I did'nt get a kit)
    Not always, the Tamiya RTR's often have the same running gear as the kits unless you're talking TRF editions......The combo price assembled is less than the kit of pieces and components sold separately by a good margin!

Hi,people aren't interested in the engineering side of the trucks any more( I'm a real fiddler, 3rd generation engineer) They just want a truck to fuel up/charge batteries then run,then put in the box .

Wow, this thread really takes me back quite a few years. I remember when all R/C's came in kit form. My 1st vehicle was a Kyosho High Rider Vette that I got when I was 16 (198. It came in as a kit only and I remember staying up all night to put it together. That was back when most R/C's came with a mechanical speed control and a ESC was a luxury. I wish everything was still in kit form. You get alot of pride by putting it together yourself unlike with a RTR of today. Good question Revolauncher! Why do kits cost soo much? It does seems backwards that they now cost more than RTR's.
    XTM XLB converted to 5th scale has been put on hold
    Traxxas Revo 3.3 w/HK 150A & Turnigy 1600Kv on 6S w/LST diff & axle conversion
    Traxxas Rustler
    Team Associated T3
    Team Associated NTC3
    Team Associated B4
    HPI Savage X 4.6

I also noticed RTR stuff usually comes with entry level equipment. My first RTR was an OFNA 1/8th nitro buggy. By the time I upgraded all the things to make it some what track worthy, a 300 dollar RTR cost me 1300

because no rc company is a nonprofit

Quote Originally Posted by CHASER View Post
    because no rc company is a nonprofit
    Yes, both kits and RTR's are profitable, but how does a complete, assembled, RTR in a brightly colored box cost 2.5 times less than a box half full of plastic, aluminum and steel parts that supposedly fit together well?
    There is profit, then, there is price gouging. Amost all the parts come from Taiwan in both cases anyway. If it says made in the USA, then I get it, the cost of quality labor and doing business here, but overseas, nah, I'm not buying it. Literally....and don't tell me it is just features and quality, the stock shocks on Revos are as functional as the Kyosho velvets and such of the day. Manufacturers, kits should cost less! We are doing the work here.....Andy Rooney R.I.P.

That's the part I really don't get... I can't see the few extra parts they toss in costing more than an engine and all the electronics....

not to mention the headache you have to deal with when you cant figure out how one piece go, lol.
    | RALLY GT8 Powered by CC |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast