Thread: E-revo racing setup

Default E-revo racing setup

hey everyone, I just wanted to know if someone could help me dial up my e-revo suspension. I really want to race with my E-revo against Truggys at my local track and hopefully win a couple races, but I cannot get my suspension dialed up. The track is just a dirt track with pretty big jumps and several bumps. After every jump my truck bottoms pretty hard, so can someone tell me what is a good suspension setup(shocks, oil, VDPs, ride height, etc...)?
    Thanks in advance

Avid BYT Member brushlesswonder's Avatar

Default Re: E-revo racing setup

well you might want to get some thicker weight shock oil, that could help alot in most cases. oh and maybe stiffer springs that should help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brushlesswonder View Post
    well you might want to get some thicker weight shock oil, that could help alot in most cases. oh and maybe stiffer springs that should help as well.
    ok thanks brushlesswonder, what weight oil ans springs do you recommend?
    Currently have 70wt oil all around, silver springs on the front and purple on the back.
    I also have #2 piston and traxxas sway bar kit.

BYT official flamer of noobs suicideneil's Avatar

Read around- silver and tan springs are the best bet to prevent bottoming out, but you will have a hard time beating the truggies, for several reasons:

1.erevo is a truck, technically shouldnt be allowed to race with the truggies as it is an MT (mt = tranny, truggy = center diff). Your track may not worry about that.
    2. erevo is heavier and lacks the handling of truggies; only the very best erevo drivers can keep pace with a decent truggy driver.
    3. Unless this is a BL erevo with lipos, it'll get left behind by the BL truggies that are lighter and faster.

Definately read around though- plenty of erevo racers and bashers & their threads to be found = be proactive.

In the event this site is down, go here instead: http://suicideneil.00server.com
    Flaming noobs since June '06

Quote Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
    Read around- silver and tan springs are the best bet to prevent bottoming out, but you will have a hard time beating the truggies, for several reasons:

1.erevo is a truck, technically shouldnt be allowed to race with the truggies as it is an MT (mt = tranny, truggy = center diff). Your track may not worry about that.
    2. erevo is heavier and lacks the handling of truggies; only the very best erevo drivers can keep pace with a decent truggy driver.
    3. Unless this is a BL erevo with lipos, it'll get left behind by the BL truggies that are lighter and faster.

Definately read around though- plenty of erevo racers and bashers & their threads to be found = be proactive.
    ok thanks, i will definetely read around. Right now a got the MMM combo with 2200kv motor and i run 2 3s 5000mah in series. my driving skills are ok but i definetely need more practice.
    I also wanted to ask you guys what do recommend for racing and why?: 2 speed conversion or center diff? As you can't have the two of them at the same time.

IN the erevo, you can only have a transmission with a center diff installed inside- unless you remove the whole tranny and retro-fit a custom center diff unit in its place. As it is, the traxxas center diff is pretty hopeless, needing 500k fluid or higher to prevent the front tires from ballooning too much, hence why alot of guys are building their own from 1/8 scale diffs. 2spd would be completely pointless really, not enough time to change up & down gears constantly, especially seeing as it would be any use on the long straight; you have a kick-butt powerful setup, no need for 2spd with BL. 6s is also pretty fast with the 2200kv motor, you will need to gear down alot to be able to handle the truck around a normal sized track, I would have suggested either 4s or 5s really at most.

In the event this site is down, go here instead: http://suicideneil.00server.com

thats a pretty decent setup, but again what suicideneil said look around , and well read around cuz truggys are fast and light weight so be prepared for a lot and i mean a lot of upgrades to get were you want your revo to be in that race.

SIG BY DRAGSTER DRAGONS

yeah you guys are right. Does anyone know were or from whom i could buy a 1/8 center diff that will actually fit my E-revo tranny with any modifications? if there is no such thing what do i need to make my own? and lastly what are some crucial upgrades for the E-revo to be in racing shape?

P.S: thanks again to all for your advices and info

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    yeah you guys are right. Does anyone know were or from whom i could buy a 1/8 center diff that will actually fit my E-revo tranny with any modifications? if there is no such thing what do i need to make my own? and lastly what are some crucial upgrades for the E-revo to be in racing shape?

P.S: thanks again to all for your advices and info
    maybe an ofna center diff

SIG BY DRAGSTER DRAGONS

Nope, its a custom thing, no drop-in 1/8 scale upgrade (yet..). Here is the 'official' thread on how-to make your own:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23402

A bit of a read, but well worth reading the whole way through as there are several different ways to do it.

Beyond that & shock tuning, the only real things to worry about will be tire choice for your particular track/ conditions, and practice-practice-practice

Nope, its a custom thing, no drop-in 1/8 scale upgrade (yet..). Here is the 'official' thread on how-to make your own:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23402

A bit of a read, but well worth reading the whole way through as there are several different ways to do it.

Beyond that & shock tuning, the only real things to worry about will be tire choice for your particular track/ conditions, and practice-practice-practice
    Thanks for the link suicideneil. man those diff look awesome but hard to build, I wish you could just buy them already made. I guess i just might have to stick with the traxxas diff because I do not think i could build those 1/8 diffs. I guess the traxxas one might help a little, at least it will be better than having none. what do you guys think?
    Man I gotta get to the track ASAP to practice
    BRUSHLESS EDITION E-REVO

Practice with the cd installed an without, see what works best for you I guess.

yeah what neil said lol

SIG BY DRAGSTER DRAGONS

Here you go - Real Racing set-up by Steve Slayden!

• Camber: -2.5deg
    • Caster: 4 clips forward
    • Toe: 1.0deg OUT
    • Roll center: upper location
    • Sway bar: 5mm from top
    • Rockers: P2
    • Pushrod location: middle
    • Pistons: #2
    • Oil: 55wt (hot weather), 45wt (cold weather)
    • Springs: white

Rear
    • Camber: -3.0deg
    • Toe: 2.5deg
    • Wheelbase: +19mm (max)
    • Roll center: upper location
    • Sway bar: Fixed (stock sway bar)
    • Rockers: P2
    • Pushrod location: middle
    • Pistons: #2
    • Oil: 55wt (hot weather), 45wt (cold weather)
    • Springs: Green

• Gearing: 18/62
    • Diffs: 30K/500K/10K (front/center/rear)

- Response Pro wheels and tires
    - Mamba Max Monster motor/ ESC
    - 4S Lipo, (Maxamps 2S 8000 packs in series)

- ride height: front: shafts level / Rear: shafts just above level.

If only he had better lipos...

Bronze Level BYT Member g00d$p33d's Avatar

If only he had better lipos...
    +1
    byt permanoob
    vxlpede ae entc3
    brothers xl5pede 3.3 revo
    cuz gawd loves a contry boy... till the contry boy needs parts