Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Project Mulligan

Silver Level BYT Member mrgrimm's Avatar

Default Re: Project Mulligan

Thats a real monster truck, how much you want for it? jk lol The plain flat paint looks mean

What are the wheelbase mesurements of it now its finished??

BYT official flamer of noobs suicideneil's Avatar

Ah yes, specs:

Weight = 13lb 10oz ( without battery )
    Total length = 24"
    Wheel base = 18" ( currently, will end up at 16" after I've tweaked it )
    Track width = 20" ( outside edge of tires )
    Total height = 10"
    Groundclearance = 1.5" ( under front and rear axles, center is a tiny bit more )

The fountain of r/c knowledge: robotwars.00server.com
    Flaming noobs since June '06

Trimmed the wheelbase back to 16", as per the original plan- now I have a bit of suspension travel finally

The devil is in the detail:

Those are actually 8mm OD bronze oilite bushings... yeah. Couldnt find any suitable alloy spacers, or plastic spacers either, but these look quite good and finish the truck off nicely. Just waiting for another chance to take the truck out really, put some speed runs on her and some onboard footage perhaps...
    Last edited by suicideneil; 05-16-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Silver Level BYT Member mrgrimm's Avatar

I would like to see a side view of the truck with it's 16" wheelbase now (body on &off). That is some serious articulation, thats the major up side of a well thought out solid axle/link setup, it looks like a slinky compared to my a-arm monster!

Neil what are those wheels and tires and what fitting are they? Cheers

That suspension travel is absolutely nuts....Love it!!!!!!

sweet build! Is it just me or does your truck scream "tractor puller"?
    Are you an RC Addict?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezetron View Post
    fixing clients networks or siting at home, naked and reading BYT, it all pays the same

It's been too long since I last drove the Big T, and boy, did I make up for it...

So, arrive at the bash spot and give the new(ish) 4 wheel steering a thorough bit of testing, works like a charm- regular steering, incredibly tight circles & bizzare crab steering all possible with the flick of a couple switches, that turned a few heads at the park. Then I decided to test the speed out since I had the room- crazy fast but acceleration takes a little while, not that surprizing really all things considered. I drive the truck as far away as I dare and them give it the beans to get the speed up as much as possible ( geared for 45mph ), truck goes sailing past me but I just clipped the tyre of a van which was parked at the side of the park ( some fireservice / coastguard open day thing with all the appliances parked around one end of the field. Truck spins round and then as I try to bring it back to me it becomes apparent the steering is knacked, very knacked.
    Turns out I mangled one of the knuckles and snapped the end off one of the steering rods; carp. Luckily as I had rear wheel steering still I was able to zip-tie the front knuckles straight ( lots of toe in but anyway ), swap the motor wires around & put the shell on backwards = good as new, sort of. Went back at it for a few minutes and noticed that the slipper was screaming alot so I tightened that up a good couple turns and then went to blip the throttle to check it; truck flips on it's lid like it weighs nothing
    So, I then put on an awesome display of crazy torque for the 'orrid tourists who were watching, just had to blip the throttle as I rolled along gently and the truck would rear up, hit the shell on the ground and then the front wheels would come crashing down- so much power it was just stupid fun, but couldn't really ride a wheelies very well as the balance is totally off. Was doing that for a good 10 minutes or so and then I suddenly couldn't wheelie anymore; rear ( actually front ) diff had gone- not surprising really considering I'm putting about 5-10 times more power to the axles than they were designed to take. I could still drive the truck for a few more minutes but then my transmitter started beeping like crazy at me as the voltage was down to 4.0v ( runs on 4x AA batts ). Couldn't ignore that really so I had to call it a day, but it was loads of fun and nice to drive my trucks again after so long.

At the moment I need to tear the axles down and see what part has stripped & if it;s worth fixing, or going with an after market axle setup of some sort; I will have to do some pricing-up and see if it's viable to buy the RC4WD alloy Madforce axles + internals + rig up some suspension linkage mounts, or if it might just be easier to run some truggy front & rear ends with the arms locked out straight & mounted to the lower axle guards that I would rather keep ( since they are go impossible to get hold of from NewEra ). Project within a project- I'll upload some damage photos later on...

I'm just gonna go find a cash machine . . .

Who needs pics with a narrative like that?

beat it 'til all options are extinguished

I'm a regular old Shakespeare impersonator...

Anyway, turns out a didnt toast the diff at all- little bit of wear evident but nothing much. No, what I actually did was snap off the end of one of the driveshafts inside the axle ( they have dog-bone type ends ) so the all the power was going to the front wheels. I also toasted a bearing in the upper part of the axle, but that doesnt seem to have caused any issues since the same shaft it was on is supported by another pair of larger bearings.

All I have to do now is find a replacement driveshaft, steering rod & knuckles which isnt too bad at all compared to what I thought I would end up having to do.

Left hand side knuckle had it's little arm bend right back and twisted, I straightened it out a bit but both will need replacing.

Project Mulligan 175.jpg
    Project Mulligan 181.jpg

It's been a while, I got bored...

Bronze Level BYT Member lilpanther's Avatar

Glad to see you're still hanging around Neil.
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] yea i knwo how to google y do i need it for
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] i dont have no question for u
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] to goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] its google, not goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] you wear goggles, google is a number
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] sheesh
    7:31 PM [SHORTBUS25] same diff its looks the same
    7:53 PM [SHORTBUS25] i think the pinion is a 78t

Quote Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
    DUDE
    That was so 80...
    My Fleet

Silver Level BYT Member cbaker65's Avatar

Awesome truck Neil ,I believe that this is the first time that ive seen it!......looks great!....
    Just bash it!..

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678