Thread: Motor for a 1/8 buggy

Veteran BYT Member scharfschutze13's Avatar

Default Motor for a 1/8 buggy

I know i will get an mmm but i am still unsure if I want to go the way of the combo:
    I am deciding between these
    MMM/2200 combo
    or mmm with one of these
    a medusa 36-80-2200 to 1600
    or medusa 36-70-2300 to 1600

What i want to know is
    What is the best bang for my buck,
    What will run the "best,"

Side notes
    I have a medusa in my rustler and absolutely love it and the temps it runs. My cousine has an e revo on the combo so I know it is good first hand but I would like to know if there are bennefits of using a medusa over the castle motor.

Any help or personal expieriences of either system is greatly appreciated

Bugatti veryon=.230 hp/lbs losi 8ight mmm/2200=.75hp/lbs

BYT official flamer of noobs suicideneil's Avatar

Default Re: Motor for a 1/8 buggy

Its a topic/question thats been asked a lot lately, so answer me3 a few questions and I'll offer you my 2c.

1. Weight?
    2. Voltage?
    3. Basher or racer or speed machine?

The MMM2200kv motor is a real powerhouse in any vehicle upto about 13-14lb, would be perfect for 4s in a 1/8 buggy. The 2650kv mootor would also work great too as its purpose designed for 1/8 buggies (smaller than the 2200kv motor).

The Medusas are great since they offer a wider range of kv and length options- 60 or 70mm is fine, I'd go for 70mm and match the kv to your desired voltage (1600kv for 6s, 2000kv for 4s, or there abouts).

Down side to the medusas is they have holes in either end for cooling, but can be sealed with tape easily enough- doesnt seem to hurt temps hardly according to reports (the cc motors are sealed too afterall).

Based on what I've read, the CC option produces more power compared to a similar spec Medusa, but it isnt a huge difference- I'd say it comes down your voltage and space requirements, since the medusa is smooth is has a smaller diameter- may or maynot be helpful depending on gearing.

One things for sure though, I love my Medusa compared to all the feiago-esque motors I've tried and cooked.

The fountain of r/c knowledge: robotwars.00server.com
    Flaming noobs since June '06

Gold Level BYT Member Dirtfreak15's Avatar

id stay stick with the Nue/Castle motors for 3 reasons:
    1 - its basically a Nue motor which have been top of the line for a long time now, and are super nice
    2 - no holes on the end, although you can buy special covers from RC-Monster for them now...
    3- Castle Customer Service, nothing like it

ive got a 2200kv on 5s in my hyper and its ridiculous
    i only wish i could fit a 6s in there

ive owned and loved a medusa motor as well
    and their HQ is actually located about 30 min away from me

but i think it would just be easier and more convenient to stick with the 2200 combo
    i dont think theres a good enough reason except needing less KV to switch to a medusa
    keep in mind Castle is coming out with their 1600kv i belive?? or somthing motor
    idk if there out yet or when they are coming out, but i know they are workin on them.
    Last edited by Dirtfreak15; 04-12-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    Losi SCTE | Axial Honcho | Losi XXXS (Drifter) | DX3S

My medusa 36/80/1600 on 6s lipo (3.5hp) is overkill in my 1/8th buggy, cant keep wheels on it, or diffs in it, lol. I want a Neu 2200 to lessen the drivetrain stress... IDK if the Neu motors are 2 or 4 pole, but this medusa is my first 4 pole BL motor and I'm love'in it! The medusa lineup is the best bang for your buck IMO.

Cheers.
    Modified Bashers:

RiP'n'Rustler (MMM~4s~36/50/3300kv Medusa)

1. around 10lbs i guess
    2. not sure hope to be either a 4s, 5s or 6s
    3. basher that may be raced

yeah i love my 36 50 3300 in my rustler over the vxl 3500

ohh and castle's 2200 is 4 pole

Bronze Level BYT Member

i have a castle 2200 in my 8ight. i also have a medusa 36-80 1600kv in my lst2. i ran the medusa in the 8ight on 5s and was not impressed, the castle motor way out performed it on the same 5s pack. obviously the higher kv motors will probably run more like the castle motor. i have run the 2200kv on 6s in the 8ight, it is sweet blessed over-kill
    it also ran just as cool as the medusa on 6s in my lst2.

i think you can get the combo for a little less than the esc and a medusa motor, so i see no reason to go with the medusa really. also, waiting for a "pre-order" motor from medusa stinks. if the motor you are looking at is in stock, then that isnt a factor
    Losi 8ight 2200kv castle/monster/5s lipo

LST2 monster/1600kv 80mm Medusa/ 6S LiPo

XR10 Comp rig

2.2 F350 basher/scaler

Losi Mini Crawler

ok thanks i think i'll be gettibg the combo and use a 2s5000 and 3s5000 in series or 2 of the 2s 8000 cause i don't want to be blowing up everything like my cousine does with his 6s