Thread: How to fix a bent motor shaft?

Default How to fix a bent motor shaft?

Hey guys im getting a used brushless motor (thanks to Q8y) but it has a bent shaft. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this my self because i dont want to haveto go out any spend another $80 bucks on a new one. Also i have access to just about any tool. Thanks

Default Re: How to fix a bent motor shaft?

well i dont know how you could bend it back to perfection, but im sure if you e-mailed the company that made the motor, they should send you a new motor.
    CAUSE I GOTTA LIVE IN A VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!! - CHRIS FARLEY

Well the problem is that the company is under new management and dont carry the motor anymore.

You'll need a hydraulic press and a dial indicator to get it fixed "correctly".... and even if you have these tools, this is really not a "garage mechanic" type of job. You need to know what you are doing. I apologize if your skill level is higher than that but if it was, you would most likely already know what to do to straighten it I am sad to say that I think you will find it very difficult to straighten the shaft. I guess it depends on the severity of the bend BUT even the slightest bend will play havoc with your gear mesh, especially with a high RPM brushless motor.
    Last edited by Chris; 03-25-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Considering the difference between a good mesh and a spur-gear eating mesh is the thickness of a couple pieces of paper...I think it would be very difficult to bend a motor shaft straight enough with basic tools to work well. I had the pleasure of experiencing a bent 5mm motor shaft once and it would have been a lost cause if I wasn't able to ship it back off the the manufacturer for repair/replacement.

Give fixing it yourself a shot but don't have too high expectations...ya know?
    HPI E-Savage Trophy Truck
    Medusa 036-060-3100V2 | Mamba Max | 4S LiPo

Haha sounds like its pretty hard to do right. But my brother has a hydraulic press and a dial indicator so i will give it a shot. Hopefully i can get it fixed because it is a wraith motor that is in a rc18t and from what i heard it is a pretty good motor.

Quote Originally Posted by losi_beater View Post
    Haha sounds like its pretty hard to do right. But my brother has a hydraulic press and a dial indicator so i will give it a shot. Hopefully i can get it fixed because it is a wraith motor that is in a rc18t and from what i heard it is a pretty good motor.
    Good luck to you and kudos to you for giving it a try! If it is a very slight bend, you might be ok?

Let us know how it works out!

You can use a little heat to straigten it, and a small hammer. a small v block mught help too.

I would like to see that thing in a press
    BLE-Slayer, Revo 3.3 w/.26 max, Jammin X1, Axial Scorpion, Schumacher Fusion 21, Kyosho Mini Inferno 09, Rustler and Stampede.

Yeah the Wraith 7k motors are nice. Had one in my rc18mt and loved it. Troy @ b-p-p can't hook you up? I also saw they are under new management so I'm not sure if he is still there or not but he would be the guy to ask, he has always been more that helpful to me.

BLE-Slayer, Revo 3.3 w/.26 max, Jammin X1, Axial Scorpion, Schumacher Fusion 21, Kyosho Mini Inferno 09, Rustler and Stampede.