Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brushless performance specs for the Slash

Default Re: Brushless performance specs for the Slash

Well the reason people say that the vxl motor is better than the 4600 is beacuse you can gear it higher and stay cooler. Traxxas does over 70 with the rustler because they can gear the hell out of the vxl motor while still staying cool on 3s. I have had many castle motors and i can say that they are nothing special. They get very very hot for me with gearing as low as i can and using regular tires. I have had about 3 of them and they all get hot, one of which the bearings became ruined after about a year. Once i got the vxl motor, there was no going back. I love this motor and you can buy spare parts for it and stuff. You can buy a rebuild kit for it and even a rotor. I have geared my stampede 23/76 and with masher 2000's with a 3s and it did not get hotter than my 5700 on 16/90 on a 2s. Plus the vxl is 5 bucks cheaper, save yourself the money and get the vxl.

By no means am i a big traxxas fan either but they have made a pretty good motor.

Bronze Level BYT Member patgotnitro's Avatar

The vxl is definitely a good motor, but it is manufactured by feigao, not traxxas... but who cares lol. Yeah, i almost want to get one esc and a couple motors because i really want to know what works best.

It is funny, half a year ago the 5700 was all the rage and NOBODY had the 4600 and now lower KV motors with higher voltage and gearing are taking over. I wonder what the VXL or the 4600 motor would do on a 4s A123 battery? it is not much more than 3s lipo, it is within the mamba max specs.

Sig by jesse braham
    http://tinyurl.com/2w77h7

That makes everything nice and neat a good page to bookmark thanks.
    My Maserati does 185. I lost my licsense , now I don't drive.

Good thread. I'm running a sidewinder 5700 on my slash and it does seem to get very hot running on 18/86 and anything else, really.. I have a VXLmotor also and it definitely does run cooler with the sidewinder esc. Running a Yeah Racing 4000 25C lipo.

Nice thread, good thing this was a sticky and now I know what to buy when I go buy my VXL and new gears (spur stripped yesterday with a 20T and 6cell nimh... )
    I <3 Boost

Whats a good setup for a high top speed with the mamba max and vxl combo on a slash ? Ill be using 7 cell nimh 4500mah's and ocassionally my 2s lipos. Should i stick with 23/86 ? i havnt tested anything yet , also what settings are good on the mamba esc tuning with the vxl ? and what top speeds should i be looking at with this setup ? Not gonna use a 3s , i sold all mine off Thanks

BYT Member

thanks that one helped out alot

Can i use the sidewinder or mamba max ESC with running in wet conditions, like the vxl-3s ESC? Im looking for a brushless upgrade but without having to worry about the electronics. The stock ESC have been proven to be waterproof the last few days for me when driving on the track in the rain.

sweet tread i just got ahold of a slash roller and i got a mamba 1/8 and a 2650kv motor here was gonna see what i can make the slash do lol

MY rides
    losi crawler

New BYT Member

hi there im new to this cool hobby, i have a stock slash and want to know what i can do to gain more power and speed with out going to a brushless system?

Banned from BYT

@ tango. if you want to go faster without buying a BL system, you coudl change the pinion on your motor to the included 23T pinion. (the stock is 1. This itself presents a problem of overheating and you will need to buy a heatsink/cooling fan for the motor. At last check I think Integy makes one.

New BYT Member

cool thanks! now if i did go to brushless what would be a good choice for a good price? i seen the one that traxxas sells butt its like 160 bucks.

What temperature should you keep your Brushless motor and ESC for the velineon system?
    Sport, Hobby, or Addiction what do you call it?

I have the vxl esc and motor geared12/56 running 3s. That's the largest spur that will fit in the slash 4x4. I tried the 5700 castle and fried it in just a few runs.
    1/5 HPI Baja 5B
    1/10 4x4 slash MM 2200kv (pending sale)
    1/16 4x4 slash (sold)
    1/8 Savage X
    1/8 Losi Eight-E MM 2200kv

New BYT Member

I have the VXL3s with 23\76 4000mah 3s dont know how fast it runs but its crazy the only thing is I cant keep it from flipping at top speed even though I added a wheelie bar to it am thinking of adding some weights. is there anything else I can do to help the flips
    MervC

Okay, so I am a newbie to the whole rc thing so take it easy on me. I bought a Slash 2WD RTR about 4 weeks ago. After getting the hang of driving it stock I decided to upgrade to the Velenion brushless vxl3s system. Wow!!!! is all I can say!! I have some concerns about the control on a race course do to the increased power. I am running 7cell 5100 Ni-Mh batts and dont really care to go to Lipo. Not trying to get max mph because I want to race at some point and feel that there is such a thing as too fast unless you are planning to run in straight line. I upgraded to pro-line shocks and still have stock gearing. Any suggestions on how to get this truck under control for short course racing. Thanks for any ideas even if I made the wrong decision on going with velenion brushless system.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123