Thread: Basic Soldering

Default Basic Soldering

Getting setup to solder wires is easy and the dollar investment in tools/equipment is minimal.

Here are some helpful links we gathered up about soldering:

Hints/Tips/Step by Step
    http://www.solderinguide.com/
    http://www.acehardware.com/sm-solder...g-1284871.html

Excellent video showing and explaining soldering basics, how to apply flux, what it does and why it is beneficial (this shows soldering a wire to a circuit board but the principals of soldering two wires together are identical):

Some other videos:

Interesting video on Soldering Iron Wattage versus Temperature (how big of an iron is needed):

Last edited by Chris; 05-06-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Braaaap Braaaaaaap sleebus.jones's Avatar

Default Re: How to: Basic Soldering

Good find on those vids, buuuuuuut

The curious inventor ones are really good. Can't find any fault with those, except for the fact that I clip my leads off after I've soldered my circuit board components. If you've done your soldering right, it won't crack, and if it cracks, you haven't done something right! Still, the first video is one of the best, comprehensive vids I've seen on soldering. Take heed! If you follow the pointers in there, you'll get great results.

Now the popular mechanics one is not so good. Two major things wrong:

1. He doesn't pre-tin the wires
    2. He grabs the freshly-stripped wires just before soldering them! Skin oil (or whatever grunge you've got on you) is not conducive to a good solder joint.

About the only thing he got right was using a "3rd hand" helper to hold the wires.

Here's some added info for doing soldering like we run into on R/Cs:

1. Most of the stuff we're going to solder is going to require a 40w iron. That will be good for doing stuff as large as dean's plugs.
    2. You might want to have a fine point 15w iron on hand for doing small electronics work like replacing an antenna lead on a RX. Using a 40w for that is just overkill, and may lift the traces on the board.
    3. Soldering battery packs is a completely different animal entirely. You're going to want a very beefy 80w iron for this. Obviously this iron makes A LOT of heat, and can get away from you if you aren't careful. I don't leave mine plugged in all the time, once it starts getting too hot (lots of boiling when you put solder on the tip) I unplug it for a while to let it cool. The upside is that I can make beautiful battery pack connections in about 1.5 - 2 seconds with it. This is the one I use:

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u842179?ref=gbase

4. In combination with that, I use 63/37 solder, not the usual 60/40. The 63/37 is a "quick" solder in that this alloy solidifies at the same temperature that it melts. 60/40 solidifies at a lower temperature than it melts. This means you don't need to wait as long before it solidifies, and you can cool the cell faster (I use a wet cotton ball on the end I just soldered)

Hope this helps!

Sleeb
    In Russia, truck beats YOU!

Default Re: How to: Basic Soldering

Great info and feedback Sleebus You are right about the Popular Mechanics one.....I honestly did not even watch the entire vid, just assumed it would be good stuff as it was from PM. That is not the case. I really like the other two videos though. Great flux and oxidation examples shown.....very well done. I also liked the iron comparison he did.

Default Re: Basic Soldering

Great right up, good info in here....

Good to know

Good info on Soldering Iron Wattage versus Temperature.

the first video says i have to rent or purchase it
    watch out for that oops too late time to order parts

Flux has changed my entire outlook on soldering. I've had some serious struggles with it in the past but it's just plain easy now.
    Just beat it

Soldering...........is something I do not enjoy. But after watching a few vids with people using flux I'm intrigued, my question is what flux to use and what wire do you guys recommend ? I have seen videos with guys using very thick household wire and watched a vid where Squirrel uses some really fine stuff.

Bronze Level BYT Member lilpanther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toothless View Post
    Soldering...........is something I do not enjoy. But after watching a few vids with people using flux I'm intrigued, my question is what flux to use and what wire do you guys recommend ? I have seen videos with guys using very thick household wire and watched a vid where Squirrel uses some really fine stuff.
    I have used either solder, On bigger wires I'll use the bigger solder but on small stuff and small connectors I'll use small solder.
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] yea i knwo how to google y do i need it for
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] i dont have no question for u
    7:30 PM [SHORTBUS25] to goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] its google, not goggle
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] you wear goggles, google is a number
    7:31 PM [fishyblob] sheesh
    7:31 PM [SHORTBUS25] same diff its looks the same
    7:53 PM [SHORTBUS25] i think the pinion is a 78t

Quote Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
    DUDE
    That was so 80...
    My Fleet

picked up some smaller solder from ace hardware see how it goes.