Thread: engine running way too hot ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default engine running way too hot ??

I have a Picco Max .26 on 20% nitro, 12% oil on my Revo that is running hot too fast.

What else could cause my engine to run too hot besides if its too lean. I say this because Ive richened my HSN to the point where it wont run at full throttle because it gurgles out and i still get temps of 300 pretty quickly ( like after every 3-4 min run).

Can a off tune LSN cause it to run lean enough for it to get hot? I get sluggish starts when i mash the throttle and then it picks up and hits full speed. I dont know what it could be. I get a good amount of smoke out of the exhaust but it just keeps getting too hot. Any suggestions?

Silver Level BYT Member jesse096's Avatar

Default Re: engine running way too hot ??

Cooler plug, check and seal the backplate and carb, and check the front bearings.

-Jesse
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeeech View Post
    A sirio .23 can go out of tune if a fly farts within 100 yards of it!

Im a little new to RCs, how does a cooler plug help the engine run cooler? I thought a cooler plug means it will stay lit at a lower temp or something like that? I use an O.S. #8 plug which is medium hot.

I have the carb and backplate sealed, not the head though. And I think my front bearing leaks but Ill check to see if its rusted or something. Ive heard that Picco Max engines are known for front bearing problems so maybe thats it but I hope not because the engine is pretty new.

Silver Level BYT Member jesse096's Avatar

A cooler plug burns cooler, and is made for higher nitro. I run a meduim plug with 25% nitro 12% oil, and mine run fine, so I would see if the bearing is leaking...

-Jesse
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeeech View Post
    A sirio .23 can go out of tune if a fly farts within 100 yards of it!

Sounds to me that if you have sluggish starts you should richen the LSN. That WILL cause a engine to heat up if it is too lean on the low end.

yea im gonna try that tomorrow morning. I didnt think the LSN would get an engine to run so lean if its off tune over the HSN. I just hope its that and not my front bearing lol.

wow I still have a lot to learn i guess. Turns out my LSN was leaned out wayyy too much. I never tried to mess with it becuase I always thought I had to tune the HSN first before I go to the LSN but apparently I didnt have the LSN set to factory settings. Thanks for the help!

Gold Level BYT Member olds97_lss's Avatar

The temp of the plug changes the timing of the engine. A hot plug makes it fire early in the rotation of the up swing. Running too hot of a plug will make it fire too early and it will actually be trying to run backwards which causes poor performance and high temps.

I used to run OS A3's (hot) in my small blocks and they worked well. I run OS #8's (medium-hot) in my BB's and they run much better with cooler temps and plenty of power as compared to when I tried to run a A3 in a BB.

Sounds like you have it, but FYI the fuel tank orings are common for leaking air too.