• RC Product Reviews RSS Feed

Article Preview

Buku Performance Products – 1/8 Scale Speed-Tune Clutch

Introduction:
    Looking at the majority of members here at beatyourtruck, we will notice that most of them are bashers (after all this is BEATyourtruck). So, you may be wondering, why in the world should we care about a speed tuning clutch? Only racers need to fine tune their machines down to the details of the clutch; us bashers can be lazy and use whatever springs we got laying around. Wrong! That’s the way I used to think about clutches and you may too, but our thinking needs to change.

It’s easy to see why a racer might want something like this, but it is just as important to have a properly tuned clutch for us too. After all, as a basher we never ...
    Article Preview

We first reviewed the original style, "stationary" 180 AJS T-Maxx stand close to two years ago! Man...time flies when you are hooked on RC. Their high quality T-Maxx stand has been a BYT shop favorite since it first arrived at our shop. If it was not built so incredibly well, we would have worn it out by now.

The world of RC has progressed during the last two years and AJS Machine is no exception. Their latest product takes the stand we have grown to love and cherish to the next level....it ...
    Article Preview

We know this is one of those items that is on everyone's "wish list" but often times, you find other places to spend your money. Time for a reality check: if you beat your truck, it is going to break! A quality stand will help you fix it fast, easy and with fewer headaches. Not only that it is a cool place to park the beast when you are not driving it. After getting our grubby mitts on this stand, we can only wonder why it took us so long to get smart and get one!

Article Preview

OVERVIEW: Castle Creations has dominated the 1/18th scale brushless motor world with unbelievable power and speed. You know it....you have been reading about it on BYT for years. Project Rocketship was our first Mamba powered truck, then Project Full Speed Ahead and coming soon, ...
    Article Preview

First Impressions: I decided to do the review on FLM Savage parts because my T-Maxx was basically bullet proof and made of mostly FLM T-Maxx parts. FLM makes some really good stuff. The parts I got from Fast Lane Machine were packaged nicely. I went with the new TVP’s. They designed them with a lower center of gravity and a 40mm stretch (see picture below of stock versus FLM length and design). These are teamed up with a bottom skid, servo plate/mid-tank mount, multiple position aluminum shock towers and aluminum servo mounts.

Assembly/Installation: My biggest complaint about FLM products is the fact that they come with no pictures or instructions on how they are to be assembled. This wouldn’t be a big deal if there were better pictures to follow on their web site or if ...
    Article Preview

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:
    In the ever so popular effort to make a stock T-Maxx stronger we often turn to aluminum products. For this review I turned to Fast Lane Machine to see what they could offer the most abuse driver in the area. After buying many different types of products claiming they could take some abuse and finding out they didn’t even compare, I was a little hesitant to try this set up from Fast Lane.

After a few emails between Fast Lane’s Jamie I decided it was time to try ...
    Article Preview

So what, are we brake crazy lately (note the back to back brake reviews)? Well actually when we started shopping around for a replacement brake setup for our T-Maxx, this one caught our eye and we had to try it. ...
    Article Preview

Ok! Who has a big powerhouse of an engine in their Traxxas MAXX truck? Hmmmm. Quite a few of you raised your hands. Listen up! The following information is very important and you will need to perform this upgrade...whether you realize it yet or not.

One of our trucks was treated to an engine upgrade (to the EPIC .18 Big Bore) and before long, we heard it. The dreaded clicking sound. When landing jumps or pulling ...
    Article Preview

OK, so we’re not all Adam Drake, and some of us like to hit things just for fun with our RC’s. I fall into both of these categories on some level. I suck at driving and some times I enjoy running into things (usually not something that will cause serious damage though). Well as we all know this can be really hard on our RC vehicles and a bumper becomes a necessity for folks like me. When you have a tiny little truck that is relatively new to ...
    Article Preview

The RPM gear cover is a great upgrade for the XXX. The stock cover is flimsy (to say the least) and does not provide much protection from anything at all. It is so thin is does not seat well against the motor plate and does a poor job of keeping out the crud. The stocker also has a tough to remove adjustment plug (to access the slipper nut). The RPM cover is MUCH thicker and is what you would expect from RPM....it's TOUGH!
    Article Preview

Oh my....what a beauty! This servo protector is from RC Raven. We were able to obtain a polished aluminum one however we have read that these are being replaced by their new brushed aluminum design. That's probably a good move as the polished version loses some of its beauty ...
    Article Preview

Here at BYT we like to say a dirty truck is a happy truck, however it is essential to clean the rig off once in awhile. Cleaning your truck keeps dirt from accelerating wear on pivot points, like hinge pins, suspension arms, bearings, pillow balls, etc.

It should be part of the routine maintenance that you perform on your RC vehicle. Having a clean truck also makes locating a damaged component (like a cracked suspension arm etc) easier to find. That gives you the opportunity to get it fixed before it rears its ugly head the next time you go bashing.

Besides, we have to admit that it is nice to stand back and admire your shiny, yet thoroughly beaten truck right? We think so. In fact every time we see our truck ...
    Article Preview

A miscellaneous item we added to our project MMMLST was FullForce RC aluminum body posts (part number: MLT001). These work great and added a little extra “bling” to our baby. There is plenty of adjustment ...
    Article Preview

The stock hinge pin retainers and the stock skid plates were discarded for some more FullForce RC carbon fiber units. Just like the chassis set, the FullForce RC carbon fiber skid plates (part number: MLST004) are very nicely made. These skids weigh a total of 0.56 oz (16 grams) vs. the stock ...
    Article Preview

How many gallons of fuel do you have through your truck? If it is more than one, it's time to do a bearing check. We at BYT like to clean and re-oil our bearings every gallon of fuel or more often if we have been playing in the dunes. It goes without saying that the stock bearings that come with almost ...
    Article Preview

OVERVIEW: FullForce RC has just released yet another new item to compliment and expand their catalog offering. If you have gone through their website, it is obvious that they carry a LOT of custom hop-ups for the 1/18th scale world of RC. Mini-T, RC18, MLST, and the list goes on. Normally the hop-ups entail aluminum and carbon fiber goodies that make your little rocket stronger, lighter and faster. Their latest tricked out item is a little different.....read on fellow RC ...
    Article Preview

DARN IT! There I was, tightening down my new throttle servo and I heard it. The dreaded sound of a servo tab cracking! I can't believe it! I wasn't even cranking down on it that hard...or maybe I was (I am super strong)?

This is a problem that has plagued many a RC mechanic since the dawn of time. Servo tabs are VERY fragile ...
    Article Preview

THE RUN DOWN : The Astroflight "Blinky" is a LiPo battery pack balancer. It balances packs during or after charging, ensuring that you are able to fit the most mAh safely into your packs.

I've been running LiPos for around a year now, and I absolutely love 'em! Nothing beats the power density, light weight and flat discharge curve that they offer. ...
    Article Preview

INTRODUCTION: I get emails with questions about pipes all the time..."what pipe should I buy?", "is this pipe any good?", "what's the best pipe?", etc. If you have looked at my trucks over the years, you may have noticed that I almost always run CVEC and have been a firm believer of the extra power their products deliver. As you probably know, CVEC is dead and gone....so now what?

Enter Buku Performance Pipes. Here's how they work. They are similar to CVEC in that they have a internal cone that moves and it has spring tension on it, so the tuned length of the pipe changes during operation. But this is not a CVEC....after ...
    Article Preview

This review is a bit different from the others. The others tend to be initial impressions, or at least from a two week period, of running. I have had these towers on my 18B for about 2 months now and have been using them throughout. Once I received the towers, and used them for a little bit, I then found myself contacting FullForce RC again and placing an order for just about every piece of aluminum that they had for the kit. I ...
    Article Preview

We added the FullForce RC carbon fiber antenna plate (part number: MLST002) to our MMMLST Project truck.

This is a pretty slick item as the front two mounting holes are slotted, meaning you can just remove the rear clip ...
    Article Preview

It was over a year ago when we first chatted with the guys at GorillaMaxx looking for some stuff to do a review on. At the time, they were specializing in E-Maxx hop-ups and we did not have one of those in our stable. About a month ago, they contacted us with some great news. They had a new G3 Race Suspension they wanted us to try out! We checked out their web site and could not stop staring at their sweet new setup.

As you know, we at BYT are not "racers" per say, we were born to bash. After testing this "race" suspension out for almost a month, it is apparent that the G3 is also born to bash. Read on my friends!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: The arms come packaged in a manner that the pieces are kept separate, eliminating any chance of shipping scuffs. All the hardware required is included and is the nice quality, black finished type. It will look great with the aluminum. The hardware and shock spacers come in separate, Zip Lock baggies to make ...
    Article Preview

The MLST double-decker chassis is just like its big brothers in design. We love this concept and think it is one of the coolest setups for toughness in the RC world today. Even with the killer design, we wanted to trick it out a little!

FullForceRC offers a carbon fiber main chassis set ...
    Article Preview

OVERVIEW: My experience with Castle Creations products dates back to the days of the 1/18th scale Mamba system. I ended up with running a 8000kv system in my RC18T with a 3S LiPo. To say it was a mind-bending introduction into the world of brushless is to put it mildly. I had messed with electric cars back in the mid 80's, but nothing like this. Nothing with seemingly bottomless, raw power.
    Article Preview

Pretty much everyone has already checked out the BYT Project Full Speed Ahead where we took a Factory Team Associated RC18T and tricked it out with a ton of sweet upgrades.

The one thing we were missing in our FullForce RC aluminum suspension upgrade was the rear hubs carriers. And as the rest of the suspension was all aluminum, you can imagine what liked to break anytime we gave Project FSA a cartwheel down a city street....you guessed it, the plastic rear hub carriers. Well, FullForce RC listened to our cries ...
    Article Preview

After suffering with the slow and weak steering servos, we decided to take the plunge and upgrade to something stronger. Per the advice of our LHS, we decided to go with the Hi-Tec HS-625MG Super Torque servo.

We bought two of these to upgrade two of our T-Maxx's. Installation is simple and it is a direct bolt in for the T. We ran into trouble ...
    Article Preview

The clutch is one of the most important features of any RC car. Yet it is often overlooked when it comes time to upgrade your vehicle. It's time to start thinking about your clutch! After all, it is the first link in putting power to the wheels.

Our test vehicle is a T-Maxx equipped with a lot of aluminum goodies (it's a heavy pig) and an EPIC .18 Big Bore engine. If anything could ...
    Article Preview

Now the first thing you may be asking yourself is “Why the heck is BYT doing a review on racing wheels”? Well, the answer to that question is simple, they look AWESOME and SPI promised they would add big time stability to our truck. Anything that adds handling and stability can be appreciated in the bashing world just as much as the racing world. And for a mere $90 for a complete set of four aluminum rims, shipped to your door, it is a hard deal to pass up. Better yet, they are made ...
    Article Preview

FIRST IMPRESSION
    : RPM has done it again. They seem to be experts at taking a good design and/or product and making it much better. Their new axle carriers for the T-Maxx are no exception. Rather than just copy what was already in place, RPM decided to take them a step further and make them stronger, better looking and also increased the performance level.

QUALITY ...
    Article Preview

For those of you who think you have every imaginable piece of bling on your RC monster truck, think again. There is one area that you may have missed. Take a look at your wheel nuts. Are they still stock? Well, we just found another place for you to spend some more money!

We ordered a set of the Sawtooth RC Trispokes knockoffs (AKA wheel nuts) for our Savage and ...
    Article Preview

There is one thing that often mystifies new RC nitro drivers more than anything else. Engine tuning. Nitro engine tuning is probably the number one "problem" for new drivers. Even for veteran tuners, a little extra help sometimes would be nice “did I just lean the HSN by one hour or two?”

RC Hardware has come up with a small yet incredibly helpful device that will be sure to please new and old tuners alike, the N-Tune dial. This device is so simple and helpful, ...
    Article Preview

I was looking at some different exhaust options after cracking my stock MT2 header. There are plenty of exhaust options out there for this truck, from many different manufacturers. For me, the one that stood out was the Tsais Nitro Devil rear mounted exhaust system, for side exhaust engines. It is the only exhaust of its type that I have seen for the MT2, and it looks to be a nicely executed kit, so I figured I would give it a try, killing 2 birds with one stone – increasing performance, and losing the ugly stock header. Lets see how this exhaust stacks up.

Article Preview

BYT has been using Lunsford Racing turnbuckles for a long time and when we saw the 1/8 scale T-Maxx package, we knew that we had to give this a hard look-over.

What's included in this 1/8 scale Lunsford kit?

(four) 4mm titanium turnbuckles
    (eight) Extra large rod ends
    (eight) Titanium ball ends
    (eight) Titanium hinge pins
    (numerous) Hinge pin e-clips
    (one) Aluminum turnbuckle adjustment tool
    (numerous) Lunsford ...
    Article Preview

As trucks get tougher and engines get bigger the need for protection becomes essential. I’ve personally seen engines broken in half when exposed to the harsh elements of bashing. With only a few makers of roll cages available it’s my job and pleasure to test one made by Hard Body’z.

This particular cage is made for the XTM X-Terminator, one my favorite Nitro’s to bash. There are 2 colors of cage available. Chrome and Blue. I chose Chrome ...
    Article Preview

When I first got these arms in my hand I was a bit baffled. They looked like a re-issue of the arms that were already available. So, how could this be something new and how could new arms gain length of the RC18(x) overall? And, for those wondering, I call them 18x’s as the 18t, 18mt, 18b, and now the 18r, are all generally the same platform. I saw the pictures on the FullForce RC website and had to try them out for myself.

The new FullForce ...
    Article Preview

Anyone who owns an LST (and even those who do not own one) knows that the biggest weak spot on the big 1/8 scale truck is the suspension arms. If you have an LST and have never snapped a suspension arm, you are simply not beating your truck! The stock arms may as well be made from balsa wood. They break often and easily! It is a crying shame that a $600 truck that has so much going for it can’t handle a 4 foot jump without snapping arms upon landing.

We LOVE our LST! We have just never been able to do any serious beating with it. Until now....

By now most of you have heard about FlexTek and their industry shaking titanium ...
    Article Preview

Ahhh. It's winter time again here in the frigid state of Wisconsin and often times that means limited monster truck time. Either it's too cold or the snow is too deep or BOTH! The new snow skis from FullForce RC have no trouble with deep snow but they won't warm it up outside. However they may help you forget how cold it really is. We have to admit, we never imagined these skis would work so well. They make a frosty, snowy day the perfect day for RC trucking...or should we say, RC skiing.

Yet again FullForce RC has proven that they are not sitting around ...
    Article Preview

We have been looking for some time to find an alternative to the Traxxas EZ Start on our T-Maxx's. Until recently, the only options were to change the engine to a pull start or add an aftermarket starting system that doesn’t always perform leaving you frustrated and unable to start your beast. There's nothing worse than going out to bash and not being able to start your ride.

Well, we think we have found a solution. The Tiger Drive from Sullivan Products. ...
    Article Preview

After numerous sets of twisted stock plastic shafts, we decided to take the plunge and invest in some CVD’s. Of course we first turned to MIP, the best know manufacturer of CVD’s in the RC world. After pricing them out, we came up with just shy of $100 in MIP shafts (front, rear and center). Ouch!

On a budget, we decided to look around ...
    Article Preview

Chances are if you are like us, you rarely think of your brake. You think more about going faster and jumping higher! Hey, we can relate. But there will come a time where the stock brake disc will become unable to do the job. And when you think about it, stopping your truck is just as important as making it go fast. Think about it! The best performance and race cars in ...
    Article Preview

A temp gauge helps to make sure you are not accidentally running your engine too hot (lean). We opted for the on-board unit versus the heat gun as it was one less thing to carry into the field. Installation is simple and it works very well. It weighs almost nothing ...
    Article Preview

With our recent purchase of two new Team Losi XXX-T trucks, we needed better chargers for our batteries. Taking into consideration price and features, we decided upon the Duratrax Piranha Digital Peak Charger. At a cost of about $50, the features were just too abundant ...
    Article Preview

We have all been there. The day finally comes to go outside and bash but alas...the alkaline batteries you installed the last time you bashed are already dead. Or you are forgetful and left the switch on in your truck. Drats! Time to toss down another $5-$7 and get more alkaline (disposable) AA's. WHAT A WASTE!!!
    Article Preview

As you may have noticed, we have been busy reviewing springs lately! FullForce RC has recently introduced dual rate springs for the Traxxas Maxx trucks. We wasted no time in getting our hands on these new “boingers”!

The springs come in a package of eight. We opted for the "blue" springs to match the color scheme of our truck. FullForce RC offers them in ...
    Article Preview

Big stiffy! Our local hobby store guru told us that the hot setup at his local track was running one of these Trinity springs at each corner of the truck. So, we went with 4 springs and decided to give that a shot.

Our LHS guy was right. After running the truck extensively ...
    Article Preview

This transmission shaft is super lightweight!!!! Anything you can do to lighten the drivetrain load is a plus. It should add to battery life and performance at the drive wheels.

The shaft is easy to install and requires the transmission to be removed from the truck. Once ...
    Article Preview

I have to say, two years ago when I was shopping for a new radio, I felt like I made the right decision then and I still do today. Not many people can say that about their radios today. The 3PK has allowed me to, in one radio, keep up with the influx of new technology and stay ahead of the competition. I have been able to upgrade my model memory beyond 10 RCs (all the way up to 100), use a synthesized transmit module (75Mhz band, ...
    Article Preview

We have been bashing with the Lunsford LST Monster Titanium Kit (Lunsford part number 4821) for the Losi LST. It includes titanium hinge pins (16 of them), e-clips, titanium turnbuckles (4 of them) and a handy adjustment wrench.

What better way to lighten the LST up a little and give it more strength in areas that are weak.

PACKAGING - As always, Lunsford packaging is great. Everything comes in its own sealed compartment. That makes the assembly process much easier. The kit includes titanium ...
    Article Preview

Is the steering in your T-Maxx getting a little soft and not quite as responsive as it used to be? Chances are your servo is getting tired or the saver spring is getting weak....or both.

You can upgrade your servo saver with another stock piece or throw down an extra $30 and get a system made to handle a truck of this size, power and weight. ...
    Article Preview

Ahhh. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Back when we got our first T-Maxx’s, we were busting stock arms like they were a dime a dozen. I remember wishing that someone would make an “indestructible” set of arms. With plastic arms, either the material is too soft and you get too much arm flex (less responsive) or it is too hard (becomes brittle). Aluminum is a good material but can reduce responsiveness because of extra weight, depending on the design, and can be bent fairly easily. Either way, plastic and aluminum have been our only choices for monster truck suspension arms......until now. FlexTek RC is on the scene with new cast TITANIUM suspension arms that look tough as nails (ummm…tough as titanium nails) and are an industry first.

FIRST ...

• Other BYT Sites

BYT Facebook BYT YouTube BYT Twitter BYT Merchandise BYT MySpace
  • BYT Sponsors

FullForce RC - For all your RC needs!

Axial Racing!

• Monthly Photo Contest Winner

Winner: popasqat 
Date: January 2013 
Contest Theme: Winter Time Weather
    Winner: popasqat Date: January 2013 Contest Theme: Winter Time Weather
    More...